FORUMS: list search recent posts

camera not recording

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
camera not recording
on Oct 16, 2010 at 2:53:38 am

When I hit the record-button to stop recording, the time code goes back to 00;00;00. I rewound the tape to the beginning and played it. There was nothing. Tried downloading it to my PC but Premiere did not detect any recording. What's wrong?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
Re: camera not recording
on Oct 16, 2010 at 10:00:16 am

What model cam

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Oct 17, 2010 at 1:48:23 am

It's a Canon XL1.

I used a cleaning tape and tried recording again and at times it would record, at times it won't. When I play the tape using the camera, some recorded scenes have blue horizontal lines.

This morning, I played the tape again and the time code is again at 00;00;00 on a blue screen but I can tell that the tape is playing because of the green arrow play symbol at the top of the time code. I played the cleaning tape again and it started to play (but erratically) and still with some horizontal blue lines on some scenes.

Since initially, I thought that the camera did not record my shots, there was this time that I rewound one particular tape to the beginning and shot again. When played, there was again horizontal lines but this time, the previously recorded video is showing on top of the newly shot video as horizontal lines.

I think this is a drum/ head issue but I'm not sure if the camera simply needs professional cleaning or if something is out of alignment. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Oct 17, 2010 at 10:47:56 pm

If a couple of passes of a head cleaner didn't do the job its probably time for a pro clean job, you could have a bad head or some debris clogging the heads, over using the cleaning can cause damage as its an abrasive tape, also using a cleaning tape too long on a cleaning cycle can overheat the heads and glaze them.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:28:11 pm

My guess is that the head assembly is out of alignment... which is not an uncommon problem.

Unfortunately that is usually one that only Canon can fix... most service guys, even really great ones (like the one we use), will say that a head alignment problem means you need to send the body back to Canon.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:17:20 am

Thanks guys! But are there any particular signs that will tell you that the head needs to be replaced?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:49:26 am

"...But are there any particular signs..."

Yeah, and I think you are seeing them.

Proably not replaced, but I suspect you do need a head alignment.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:43:20 pm

Thanks everybody.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]