FORUMS: list search recent posts

Card reader speed VS CF card speed.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Cicon
Card reader speed VS CF card speed.
on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:03:23 am

Hey everyone,
Got a question and invite any who feel qualified to help educate a relative novice in this particular area of Canon 5D/7D technology.

QUESTION:
Does the speed of the card reader effect the accuracy of the content/file being transferred to the camera? Or does the speed of the card reader only determine how fast the CF card will upload to the hard drive.

Back Story: I am going to be uploading video and backing up to two external hard drives, on the set of a shoot later this week. I will be using the 7D and 5D for the first time shooting video. A little nervous. I have multiple 16GB and 32GB cards. Upon filling up a CF card, I will then be using a card reader from SanDisk, the 'ImageMate All-in-One' to tansfer the .MOVs to my HDs. The card reader says it 'Supports all card formats up to 34 MB/s. My concern is that many of my CF cards record at a higher maximum rate (50mbs-60mbs). Am I going to be OK using this type/speed of USB card reader in the field? Will the card reader keep pace with my CF cards?

If I have multiple cards and don't need to wait for the upload process to re-use each CF card, will I be OK with this card reader even if it takes a little more time to transfer. Sorry if this sounds like such a rookie question.

Jared

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
Re: Card reader speed VS CF card speed.
on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:15:19 am

Its just a digital data transfer, it doesn't matter what bit rate it was recorded at, the card reader data rate will determine how fast it will xfer.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
Re: Card reader speed VS CF card speed.
on Oct 12, 2010 at 9:18:52 pm

the data rate of your card reader has nothing to do with the data rates of the files. But, a slow card reader will mean slow copies. 30 minutes of footage may take an hour to offload.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]