FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D or T2i ?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Richard
5D or T2i ?
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:45:45 pm

I've looked through all the specs I can find for both cameras; the 5d has a much larger sensor and would seem to be the better camera, however, no where can I find a claim that it will shoot 24p, 30p etc., where the T2i states it up front.

I realize that trying to actually shoot and edit with these camera's will be a bitch because of the h.264 recording format, and it's need to un-compress all that compressed footage - but I have no direct experience yet. Can anyone with experience let me know what's up with formats for the 5D and their experience?

CR.
FCP Trainer

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
Re: 5D or T2i ?
on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:01:34 pm

5D shoots 24/25/30p natively, thanks to the firmware upgrade that was released in March of this year. I don't have a T2i, but a 7D and a 5D. Check out Philipbloom.net or the Gear section on Vincent Laforet's blog for all sorts of reviews.

If you keep using FCP then I guess you'll need to either transcode to ProRes or use proxy files with Magic Bullet Grinder.

Instead, I work with Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5 (with 64-bit and Mercury Playback Engine) which allows me to use the footage without transcoding. Even adding effects of color grading is done directly.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 29, 2010 at 8:32:40 pm

The great Camera Shootout shows the quality difference between the cameras. Be sure to check it out. The T2i is similar to the video quality of the 7D. http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

Cannon has a free plug-in so you can log and transfer the files directly in FCP. So it would be like editing any other digital format such as P2 footage.

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Craig Richard
on Oct 2, 2010 at 12:32:31 am

The great camera shoot out is the best response I've had at CCow about new camera's. All your quality questions are answered, meaning, of course, do I shoot film, or can I, or do I buy a 5d or 60d to do the same thing.
Thanks for the lind Richard.
c.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Oct 2, 2010 at 6:59:59 am

I own a t2i and wish I bought the 7d, only for environmental protection. But if I screw it up, I can buy a second body for the price.

As to buying a 5d, I wish I did, because every damn lens I use is like a telephoto! Even 18mm is like too tele! I want a damn 17 mm lens that is a 17mm lens!

If none of this makes sense, or you shoot portraits in a studio with telephoto lens, then ignore my post..buy any of these that your budget allows.

Alf

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 4, 2010 at 1:15:58 pm

Happy to help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:06:51 pm

In this case, you do get what you pay for. 5D, full sensor, better in low light. 7D easier to shoot video with setting switch on the camera. 5D you have to go into the menu to set up the video. Firmware has made the 5D better.

Adobe Premier CS5 will edit native files from these cameras. Final Cut Pro can add Canon's plug in which allow you to use file & transfer to get footage converted.

I think the T1i is too consumer / plastic for my taste. But if you're on an extremely tight budget, it's a great camera for a consumer.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index