FORUMS: list search recent posts

understanding all the issues of D5 DSLR

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Haslam
understanding all the issues of D5 DSLR
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:15:47 pm

Hi, I've been editing for a number of years but am just taking on a project using cannon D5 for the first time. Actually DSLR for the first time and though I've read through a number of posts relating to this subject I'm failing to fully comprehend all the issues. Looks like I'll have to upgrade both my Mac OSX and FCP to use the driver associated with the transfer of D5 in log and transfer. Not a problem. What I'm not understanding at the moment are two related issues. One is timecode and the other separate audio. Does the driver that uses Log and transfer take account of timecode written to ch.1 on the source and if the sound is recorded separately does the meta data account for it or is that a totally separate issue that needs a different workflow than simply importing the footage through log and transfer.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not totally up to date yet but just wanted to see if I understood all the issues before I got involved.

thx

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: understanding all the issues of D5 DSLR
on Sep 26, 2010 at 10:01:31 pm

Used this camera Canon 5D mark II for 18 months with only problems of large size of H.264 mov files bringing PP to a halt in underpowered Pentium 4. Son, uses Apple Mac and has had problems with slow rendering. However CS5 PP has fixed issue with up-date patch. Interestingly iMovie works better than Final Cut Pro ?
The newer i7 XEON Quad core 64 bit processors have fixed the issues.
No issues with your other concerns, the 5D mark II is broadcast quality in PAL @ 25 fps 1920 x 1080P

Good luck.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Phil Haslam
on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:22:12 pm

Thx Bob, I think what I'm trying to get my head around is how it deals with time code. For my understand Log and Browser in FCP builds it's own time code based on the time and date stamp of each recording. My crew seem to be adding time code to audio CH.1 which for FCP is redundant. Is that right? Also if the audio is collected externally does the metadata on the clip account for it or do you have to import it seperately and not through Log and browser? thx

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:25:44 pm

Sorry Phil,

Can't help, my son who runs Markad Media , in Brisbane, Australia runs a Mac but, uses iMovie only as it runs better than FCP.He imports audio from other sources but, never has a problem, and does it manually. I work on a XEON Server i7 and do not import sound onto the timeline from another source.(except background audio) I must admit we never have to use the timecode in any application ? Premiere Pro seems to do it automatically.

Note: If you have the latest version of Canon's Zoom Browser EX 6.5.5.15 it will give you the metadata of the 5D mark II if you have put it in, but, no time code except length of H.264 MOV clip. ?
it is essentially a near useless piece of Editing Software.

Good luck

Ps You could try Canon Technical Service

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 27, 2010 at 9:00:24 pm

The latest version of Apple Quick Time may throw some light on timecode ? As there is a Movie Inspector Window there, but, this is nearly as useless as Canon's Zoom Browser ?
Quick Time Player Version 7.6.8 (1675)

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Phil Haslam
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:04:13 pm

I know the D5 doesn't record vitc timecode that normally gets recorded into standard video camera's. The D5, primarily a still camera that's become used by the video community cause the quality of image is what every film-maker looks for. But longditudal timecode can be recorded to CH.1. Unfortunately FCP doesn't/can't read longditudal timecode. There's software that can be bought to read it and then use it but I don't see the point. Cannon introduced the EOS movie plugin-E1 for FCP to browse, log and import in, I believe in March this year

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

and made it possible to browse and select before importing into FCP. That way you can delete what you don't want before importing and at same time it transcodes H264 into ProRess. The driver also builds timecode into the video based on the time and date stamp of the recording. All very useful. What I can't work out is why, if that's true my crew are bothering to record timecode into ch.1.

I just can't cross check it all at the moment until I upgrade my mac to at least 6.06 and FCP to at least version 7.0.2 which is when the canon browser becomes operative in FCP.

That issue and the other issue of external sound I'd also like to understand. I guess the sound is something I'd like understand more than the timecode issue which I think I get. I just want to stop my crew bothering to record timecode but need to be sure before I do.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:09:47 pm

Well, Phil,

You are right H.264 Mov files from the 5D Mark II are so large they definitely need a bigger Quad Core 64 bit computer.And on a MAC probably the Nvidia Qudro FX 4800 video card ? And your stuff sounds high end, enjoy the struggle, at times I am loosing a lot of hair...

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:06:26 am

Phil.

This may be worth a look.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Workflow Guide: re : Native support "Native support also means taht the metadata coming from the camera is retained" ie., with Canon Digital Video cameras http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/native_tapeless_workflowsn
CHECK out Supported Technologies in in drop down menu.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]