FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D footage timecode in FC multiclips?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Larson
5D footage timecode in FC multiclips?
on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:32:59 pm

Hey everyone,

Im having a real hard time with some 5D footage I am using in multiclips in Final Cut. I am trying to get the clips to have timecode so when the multiclip is finished I can go back to the original H264's to make the edit. Here is my workflow,

My main camera is a Canon XH-A1 which shoots HDV. I am shooting with a 5D and a 7D as well, which shoot H264 without timecode. I am shooting dances, the same dance 3 times with 2 cameras for a total of 6 angles, 2 on the A1. When I put all the angles into a sequence to make a multiclip, because we shot the dance at different times, the in point, out point, and timecode cant match. So, after syncing all the video tracks, I have to export each of them as a reference movie with slug at the beginning, end, or middle to make each video clip stay in sync. No problem.

But I noticed in the timecode overlay fields of the multiclip, the A1 footage keeps its timecode, the 5D and 7D dont (because it doesnt exist). I converted the 5D footage to ProRes using Mpeg StreamClip, hoping this would give it a timecode track, then convert the ProRes to HDV. But those HDV's have the same problem, they dont keep their timecode when I make the reference movie.

I want to avoid making timecode window burns as this makes big render files on my drive, and I have a lot of footage. I have been all over the internet and I cant figure this one out, how how how does one get timecode onto clips shot on a 5D or a 7D without using hard driving hogging codecs like ProRes???

Thanks

Scott Larson

cinemtographer/photographer
Tokyo, Japan

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
Re: 5D footage timecode in FC multiclips?
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:33:31 pm

Hi Scott - I'm not quite understanding your problem here, but would reccomend you transcode everything to ProRes (422 or 422LT depending on the quality you require). FCP requires every clip in a Multiclip to be the same format/fps/etc/etc/etc.

ProRes is actually a very efficient format, and the trouble it will save you on the back end (vs working with HDV or H.264) is well worth the upfront investment in time and disk space. Simplify your workflow (and life!) by starting everything on a level playing field.

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]