FORUMS: list search recent posts

What HDV camera to buy?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesus Velazquez
What HDV camera to buy?
on Sep 22, 2010 at 9:12:13 pm

I'm in the process of purchasing a new HDV/SD camera. I have been editing both on FCP and avid for several years now and feel very comfortable with setting up and working HD and SD projects. However, there are so many choices for HDV cams I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Can anybody suggest a model they have worked with? I'm looking for three things specifically. 1. HDV/SD resolution (these can be 60i, 30 or 24p). 2. Need output capability to go straight from camera to NLE system (can firewire transport HDV into FCP or avid?). 3. Option to record on both tape or external hard drive.

If anybody can share their experience with a particular model or offer research suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks in advance.
Jesus

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: What HDV camera to buy?
on Oct 16, 2010 at 10:01:29 pm

So many very good cameras and videocmacorders out there you cannot go very wrong. however, make sure the codec out of the camera suits your editing software. In the last three years for high definition we used and still are without problems a Panasonic 3CCD SD but, the Canon is marginally better, well a lot really. Canon HV20/30 now 40 Tape based and a real stunner with a 1920 x 1080P CMOS chip and a read speed of 25Mbps (professional standard) and a Canon 5D mark II which records at 38+Mbps H.264 MOV files which needs say CS5 Premiere Pro to work smoothly with a computer set up to Adobe specifications probably using a Nvidia Quadro FX4800 Card for FCP , but, we run a i7 Quad Core Workstation

We are in PAL world the 5D mark II can run at thspeeds you mention, but, after experimenting 25fps Broadcast in Australia suits us fine, you could use 24fps movie speed and they shot the last episode of House tv on this instead of the 35mm movie cameras, see Canon Web Site for details under professional video. Or the short film shot with the Canon 5 D mark II "Reverie" a real eye opener?
This has a CMOS in full frame 35mm which is ten times approx size of sensors in most camcorders and great Image Stabilized Lens.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]