FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV decks for canon xh a1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Fourchalk
HDV decks for canon xh a1
on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:44:12 am

Does anyone know of any good affordable decks (cheaper the better) so that I can play and capture my hdv tapes into FCP. I'm pretty new to it all and have heard that canon doesn't make decks and that also none will allow capturing in 720P.

Some have also suggested just buying another cheap hd camera for this purpose.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: HDV decks for canon xh a1
on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:40:27 am

"Some have also suggested just buying another cheap hd camera for this purpose."

Absolutely... that's the way to go if you are pinching pennies.

The problem with the Canons (although they are great cameras, I use my XLH1 every day), is their somewhat proprietary way that they do 24p (which they call 24f). That means that most HDV decks can't play back Canon HDV 24f footage. Only some very specific (and relatively high-priced) decks such as the Sony M35 can play the tapes.

However, hit eBay and you can pick up a low-miles (or sometimes even new old-stock) little Canon HV20 palmcorder for absolute peanuts and they play the Canon footage beautifully. When they first came out I bought one just for fun, and thought we might occasionally use it as a crash cam or whatever... but as it turns out its chief duty is as a deck in one of our suites that is not equipped with decks that can handle the Canon footage. It's great.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Sep 22, 2010 at 3:03:29 pm

Thanks Todd - just priced an HV20 on ebay (starting bid 300.00). Can you find out how many hours have been shot on these used units?

Return to posts index

Karine Petit
on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:16:34 pm

Hello Todd !

I found you when I "googled" my issue. I own a XH A1 and shot in 1080i, 24f on a black backdrop. When my editor tried to digitize the footage (straight for the camera with firewire), it looked like crap! With the black background it looked like I shot the footage with a 1975 camera!!!

Anyway, I am aware it's a codec issue. He has the "student version" of Final Cut. How can I get the right codec to him? I have researched everywhere! Also, would Adobe Premiere Pro digitize properly?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:36:25 pm

Sorry Karine... I don't know. It should look great.

I don't use Final Cut so I don't know much about it. All our suites have Matrox Axio LE machines running Adobe CS3 or CS4, so I'm clueless about any particulars having to do with FCP.

You might ask in the Final Cut forum.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]