FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zacuto z-finder mounted on Canon 5D mkII

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Ralston
Zacuto z-finder mounted on Canon 5D mkII
on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:50:02 pm

Hi all,

I"ve just bought a Zacuto z-finder for my Canon 5DmkII. Although I haven't fitted it yet I'm confused as to how I will attach the camera to a tripod as the base plate for the Zacuto screws into the hole for the tripod. Am I missing something obvious here? It has to said I often do!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
Re: Zacuto z-finder mounted on Canon 5D mkII
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:39:36 pm

Depends on which version of the Z-Finder you have. I have V2's and they connect on the back with a glue-on frame, so there is no baseplate. The new V3s do have such a Gorilla Baseplate. This is supposedly handier when you have a Zacuto rig, since you can directly attach the 15mm rods to it, but that leaves the tripod/monopod mounts...

I have Manfrotto 394 quick release plates all over the place, so I can quickly switch from one to another. Speed is what counts when you're shooting and this works for me.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Steve Ralston
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:46:28 am

Thanks for the reply Richard.

Basically then I'm screwed!! I don't really understand why they wouldn't put a hole in the bottom of the gorilla plate. Is the v2 still available do you know or is it a case of searching classifieds and ebay? Thanks for the quick-release plate tip BTW,

Steve

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Sep 16, 2010 at 10:32:56 am

No you're not screwed. You can screw your tripod into the baseplate, there's a thread for that (look sideways). I prefer the use of the Manfrotto 394 quick release plates, instead, however. You could screw that on the bottom of the baseplate as well.

Alternatively, you can buy the glue-on frame from Zacuto and attach the Z-finder that way. It still works, as the frame is identical in size. Available for $5,50 at B&H.

Richard van den Boogaard

Branded Channels

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Sep 16, 2010 at 10:36:43 am

I had to buy a Gorilla base plate this Summer, as I had to sent in my 7D for repairs and received a loner from Canon Professional Support (naturally without a glue-on frame). So, from that perspective, it can be nice to keep such a baseplate around.

Richard van den Boogaard

Branded Channels

Return to posts index

Steve Ralston
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:53:48 pm

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees! Thank you. I think I am going to get a stick on frame though because with my battery grip attached I can't change batteries without taking the gorilla plate, and therefore my tripod plate, off and then having to put it all back together. This seems a lot of trouble I could do without in the middle of a shoot

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:14:03 pm

Totally agree with you there.

I think the guys at Zacuto have to send this one back to the drawing board, as it not very useful, unless you have a loner without a frame glued to the back...

At IBC in Amsterdam, I saw a viewfinder that allows for angled shoots (works with a mirror), although Zacuto is about to announce an electronic version.

Richard van den Boogaard

Branded Channels

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]