FORUMS: list search recent posts

HV 40 vs. HF S200

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
HV 40 vs. HF S200
on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:42:40 am

Which one provides a better overall quality image, the vixia hv40 or the vixia hf s200? Which one is better in low light? Thanks and God bless!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: HV 40 vs. HF S200
on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:35:47 am

Check out Canon Specs for HF S200 is .3 Lux , HV40 is .2 Lux (night) recording Program or 2.5 Lux (Auto Mode Shutter speed at 1/25 sec.But, you will get a photo and video.

Neither are great but, what a marvellous videocamera the HV 40 is , especially for editing , we have used the HV 20 for 3 years and it is stunning HDV and it easily takes mini tapes recorded on the Canon XL-H1 ($11,000) and the XH-A1( $6999) and loses no quality on tape at 25 mbps.

However, if you want real low level light performance at 1920 x 1080 p try the Canon EOS 5D mark II , it is a stunner at three times the price.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:08:24 am

The reason why I'm looking for the best in low light is because I already have a DOF adapter and lens (which is why I'm not looking into buying the DSLR because it defeats the purpose of having a DOF adapter). The adapter and lens eats up about a stop of light.

If the difference in light sensitivity is very small, I might go for the HF S200 because having no moving part makes it look more durable. But another thing that's bothering me is the AVCHD format, which according to what I've read so far, is a more difficult format to edit. Whew!

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:16:11 am

You will have a problem with AVCHD format and you will want to edit, things have improved but you may need a big computer re- rendering times and crashes, I would not touch it, after the issues with H264, but , if you have a quad core with a large processor and nice video card and 64 bit operating system on a i7 and plenty of RAM go for it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:31:24 am

I'm only using Core2 Quad with 4 gigs of ram and 64bit OS. I'm not sure if it's fast enough. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:13:16 am

Well it looks ok but, I run a Quad Core Workstation 2.27 Ghz with 12 GB Ram and a Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 1GB Video Card mainly for CS5 Premiere Pro, I think I may have been better going for a larger processor say 2.66 GHZ with hyper-threading but, it would have cost a mint, but, I will live with what i've got for now. The results are professional but, may be a tad slow. But, nothing like the 3.20GHZ hyper-threaded Pentium 4. The system is 3 times faster and no crashes, & blu-ray to boot.The transcoding does not look like slow motion & the rendering is fast enough.i7 and 64 bit operating system.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Sep 16, 2010 at 1:42:22 am

I think i will have to go with the HV40. It's proven with many indie film makers and time is important to me, especially that I have really tight deadlines. But how do you compare its low light performance with the old Canon XL1?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 16, 2010 at 2:28:34 am

Hi Clyde,

Ii did not own one , but, if you check out the Canon Specifications it will give you low level light lux performance minimum.The CMOS sensors are better than the 3ccd's apparently for low level light performance, you may have to set it manually and experiment, I do know the HV20/30/40 video on a jazz band in low level light last year looked faded compared with the Canon 5D Mark II with it's tremendous ISO Light range which can be set to anything up to 12,500 or more, it did look like professional lighting with out the lights.

Check out the movie on web "REVERIE" for this camera.

all the best >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ps. Incidentally both cameras were set at 1/50 sec shutter speed, the stills from the 5D mark II left the Canon HV20/30/40 in the shade

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:20:37 am

I would love to buy the 5D but it's out of my budget right now. And the rolling shutter worries me. Some of our shots need fast panning and fast moving subjects which may skew the acquired image.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:32:26 am

I understand, the horizontal fast panning on the 5D is not ideal without the correct Image stabilzation in the Canon Lens, and I think the main one would be the 70-200mm which is quite heavy, don't rush the pan on the Hv40 as you may end up with some pixels shifting slowly .but, a lot of that may have been caused by our Dell 8400 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 ? I found it best not to run the HV20 on Cinema Mode , best to experiment ?

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:26:15 am

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-hv20/4505-6500_7-32172625....

Interesting ? You may find one of the HV40 , but, it videos in progressive and saves to 1080i

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:35:38 am

Was looking at the Canon website and found out that the T2i records in MOV h.264. Is it as difficult to edit as AVCHD? Or is it the same as HDV. I'm editing using Premiere and AE.

How about the audio sync issues; I was told that after some time, the audio gets out of sync. About how long is the recording before that happens? Thanks and God bless.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:06:27 am

I import H264 files from the Canon 5D Mark II,(about 25mb for 4 second clip) or more + the old Premiere Pro does not like it. I needed to save the timeline as Cineform avi uncompressed or Microsoft avi, again uncompressed to retain quality, and re-import to edit, with no problems.CS5 should have fixed the issue.Out of sync will happen if you accidentally miss align the Audio track on the time line ( if you ripple delete or other), then you will have to fix it, it is easy enough.

Never used AVCHD as it is basically an amateur codec unless recorded at 25Mbps.The HV40 records at the professional rate as the more expensive Canon Professional Camcorders.I know nothing about the T2i.
Note: The audio has never been out of sync with the Cineform avi captured from the Canon HV20, only H.264 clips from the 5D mark II then converted by the Encoder say to Movie.Or mybe using the m2t file from an Export to Tape

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:51:23 am

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/Canon_HV20-HV30.htm

Have a look at this review, any HDD camera will have issues editing and showing video on a HD TV and using HDMI , editing avi not AVCHD is the easy way to go in Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements ???????

good luck.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:38:41 pm

Hi Clyde,

Read this it has most of the answers.

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/Canon_HV20-HV30.htm

AUSTRALIA