FORUMS: list search recent posts

Manual audio question for 5D MarkII users

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Wilson
Manual audio question for 5D MarkII users
on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:16:17 pm

This might be dumb... but I'm asking anyway.

I've been using the 7D and Rebel T2i for most of my video work, which tends to be a lot of sit-down and stand-up interviews. Also have a crappy Azden (3.5mm jack) shotgun, Shure wireless lav and Zoom H4N.

For the most part, I record the wireless lav into the Zoom H4N (with disappointing results. Settings must be wrong) and also record with the Zoom's external mics (these usually turn out nicely). As backup audio, I'll record the Azden straight into the camera just in case of disaster.

I'm not quite in the market for a 5D MarkII yet, but I'm going to trade in my Rebel and buy the 60D and am wondering about some audio functions. Given the fact I haven't experienced manual audio on a Canon DSLR yet, I'm pretty oblivious as to how it works. Reading the specs alone still left some questions.... So here's a few:

- What does manual audio allow you to do? I'm guessing it just allows you to set levels for the internal mic and also whatever external mic you may have plugged into the mic-in jack.
- Does manual audio mean the AGC will be killed? Or will there have to be a Magic Lantern hack for that? (I know there's a Magic Lantern in the works for the t2i, not the 7D yet... and who knows about the 60D)
- If AGC is killed, can you record a wireless lav straight into the 60D's mic-in jack? (using a 1/4 to 3.5mm converter)? If so, how much quality are you losing compared to running it through the Zoom?

Thanks for helping a manual audio newbie.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Manual audio question for 5D MarkII users
on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:42:48 am

You cannot see level as on a camcorder, no control except to check level before you video. Great sound using a RODE Stereo Video mike X/Y Condensor if left on auto level AGC . used 5D mark II for 18 months, no problems, but, make sure external mike is attached correctly or you will hear sound from Image Stablizer.I do not think AGC works in manual mode, but, is not as good as AGC, no distortion and correct level in jazz band performance.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]