FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon xlh1 awful recording - how can I fix it?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Dantonio
canon xlh1 awful recording - how can I fix it?
on Aug 28, 2010 at 4:24:06 pm

I'm working on editing together a wedding video for a friend but the video was taken with two different cameras. One was taken with the Canon HandyCam HDR-HC5, the other with the Canon XLH1. The funny thing is the handycam footage looks ten times better than the XLH1 footage.

I've got After Effects, Premier Pro and along with Magic Bullet Looks - what can I do to get a better image from the XLH1 footage?

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
Re: canon xlh1 awful recording - how can I fix it?
on Aug 28, 2010 at 6:49:22 pm

A HDR-HC5 is a Sony camcorder, the footage from the canon looks like the cam wasn't setup correctly, It appears the white balance is not correct and focus may be off

There are links to adobeTV on this tutorial page for correcting color, I would do that first before anything.
http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tutorials

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 29, 2010 at 12:07:29 am

Yep... obviously the Canon was set up incredibly badly. I wouldn't blame the camera... the H1 is a fantastic camera, but you have to know how to use it and tweak its 23 different adjustible parameteters to paint it correctly (and the factory defaults are very poor).

This is all a moot point though, since you need to know how to do those things before you shoot... and that has already happened so it is what it is and you'll have to deal with it.

From what I see, the color/saturation/contrast could be dealt with pretty easily with most any flavor of color correction. I'd guess you could get a relatively good match to the other footage fairly easily just with basic color correction. The soft focus though, unfortunately you are stuck with that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Aug 29, 2010 at 7:26:05 pm

[Todd Terry] "The soft focus though, unfortunately you are stuck with that."
One reason I was recommending color correction first is sometimes just having the proper color tends to make the video appear crisper, if further attention is necessary sometime a tad of sharpening can help but has to be done very carefully as not to over do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]