FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying my first Camera

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Chalmers
Buying my first Camera
on Aug 20, 2010 at 1:04:25 am

Hi,

I am new to photography and i want to invest in a new camera, like my other hobbies, i should take this quite seriously.

I was looking at the 550d Cannon as a first camera can anyone advise me on what to purchase ?

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
Re: Buying my first Camera
on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:10:55 pm

John,

Can you give us some more information on what you want to do? Will you be using it for video as well? Lots of sports? Shooting in inclement weather? Do you own any lenses now? What is your overall budget?

I'll give you my two cents after you provide a little more.

Bill

Return to posts index

John Chalmers
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:07:00 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, i have no lenses just now,

i think i would use it for shooting video, perhaps underwater too if thats reasonable to get a plastic case like the cannon G10 - im sure thats the model i rented when diving.

but it would also be used on land for days out etc

a good all rounder really ?

budget would be between 1000$ AU for the moment, but i see this as an future investment so i would spend more if i knew it was safe.

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:22:13 pm

John,

At less than that budget, there are a lot of really nice compact megazooms that might work for you, but of course it won't have all of the flexibility and expandability that a DSLR gives you. For stills, cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony and Panasonic will all work well, but if you are looking for HD video, Canon is really way out in front. The T2i/550D is an excellent choice and has the majority of features of the 7D (notable exceptions are weatherproofing, greater burst capability and more selectable ISOs) but you will also pay double.

Your real cost will come with lenses and accessories so that's where your budget considerations need to be.

Bill

Return to posts index

Mitch Noakes
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:10:27 pm

Hey John,
Checkout http://www.digidirect.com.au, I'm looking at getting a Canon 550D, I havent done a huge amount of searching as of yet bit I was put onto this site by a friend and their prices beat others by a lot. And you can save money by just buying the body and then choosing lens separately rather than buying those in store packs.

Thanks for your info Bill, helped me as well. Can you recommend any lenses, I want to do what John wants minus the underwater, but plus shooting live music gigs.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:18:03 pm

Mitch,

The bottom line is that the camera especially one as inexpensive as the t2i) is basically the cheapest part of the whole system and, as with all technology, you've only got about 3 years before it's totally behind the curve; lenses, on the other hand hold their technological edge for 10-15 years.

For the most part, I would only get a few EF-S lenses as you will be limited to crop sensor cameras whereas the others will work with 1.3 crop and full-frame.

For the live music, it depends on indoor or outdoor. If outdoors, you'll only need a variable ND filter so you can open up the aperture and get a shallow depth of field. If you have a telephoto prime or zoom, the Canon 1.4x extender will allow you to get closer without losing quality and only a 1-stop loss of light.

If you're indoors, a 2.8 or better is almost a necessity because the t2i is only good to about 1600 ISO in video mode. If you can get somewhat close to your subject, don't overlook a 35mm or 50mm prime in 1.2, 1.4 or 1.8 (depending on the lens). I'm not a big fan of the 50mm 1.8 (even though it's only $100) because it has an extremely small focusing ring. The 50mm 1.2 is a beautiful lens, but roughly three times the cost of the 1.4. You'll also find that shooting video with prime lenses forces you to become a better videographer and produces a pleasing "zoom" to your audience when you move in.

Bill

Return to posts index

Mitch Noakes
on Sep 20, 2010 at 12:44:21 am

Thanks a lot Bill.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]