FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D footage looks choppy in Final CUt

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Brusikiewicz
Canon 5D footage looks choppy in Final CUt
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:46:02 pm

We shot a 30sec dolly shot using the Canon 5D mark II and once the footage got imported into Final Cut Pro (in pro res) - it looks choppy in play back. We shot at 30fps at 1/60shutter speed. What are the possible reasons for the footage being choppy and are there any plug-ins/filters for Final Cut that can help smooth out the existing footage?

thanks
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter von Puttkamer
Importing CANON 5D MkII footage smoothly into Final Cut Pro
on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:40:03 pm

SOLUTION FOR CANON 5D into FINAL CUT. There is a SEAMLESS way of importing this material now in FCP. CANON has produced a plug-in for Canon 5D- it works perfectly. Make sure you have a CF card reader (they cost $25.-). Go to this Canon USA link:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_...

Select Drivers and Software, then select your operating system. Say it's Mac OS X- the
4th plug-in down is called EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro.
Download onto your editing-system computer. Plug in your CF card into the reader and plug the USB into the computer. Now select Log and Transfer. All your shots come up automaticaly. Just select the clips you want to transfer. This plug in smoothly and quickly transfers all files into apple pro res at full hd. There is no other conversion required. It's done. And it's not choppy. Scenes/files play perfectly. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Joe Morris
Re: Importing CANON 5D MkII footage smoothly into Final Cut Pro
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:06:37 am

Thanks Peter.

Does this plug-in keep all the original timecode (starting at 00:00:00:00)?

I've just competed a 5min MV which was shot on various formats, but mostly the 5D.
I received approx 3hrs of 5D material.

My assistant transfered all the material through 'log & transfer'. I encounted a problem with the converted files. The Log & Transfer had modified all the pro-res files to have time of day (TOD) timecode.

After offline, we completed the conform and final grade in 'Baselight'. The colourist required the original 5D H264 codecs for grading. So before I produced an EDL I had to modify all the clips to have timecode starting at 00:00:00:00.

It was a workflow around it, but it was laborious. I had a few FCP issues too, for some reason after modifying the timecode, I found sometimes FCP would randomly revert some of the clips back to TOD code.

Anyway, we got there in the end.

Thanks again Peter and I look forward to hearing your response.

Joe

Return to posts index

Steve McGarrigle
Re: Canon 5D footage looks choppy in Final CUt
on Aug 20, 2010 at 3:56:57 pm

I have just today had a client in who has provided me with footage for an edit that was shot with the Canon 5D EOS MKII.
I noticed that in one of the shots - a fairground carousel at night, the rotation of the carousel looked a bit choppy - as if jumping a frame or two every so often.
I don't have a solution for this yet(sorry!) just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with this.
I'm going to check this out and will report back if i discover anything useful.

Return to posts index

Peter Brusikiewicz
Re: Canon 5D footage looks choppy in Final CUt
on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:33:28 am

thanks. Please let me know if you find out anything regarding the choppy footage. The only possibility that I think could have affected it, is that we had the image stabilizer on. It's good to have on when shooting handheld, but when you're shooting on a dolly and tripod, I think that it may affect it in such a way...still not sure though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]