FORUMS: list search recent posts

buying sugestions

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Finnigan
buying sugestions
on Jul 31, 2010 at 5:59:44 pm

I'm looking to buy a camera to film both events and nature...

I'm either looking to get a gl2

or some kinda of used avchd or similar camera.. (I like the sony ex1 and nxcam but there too pricey)

any advice I know there two different things one is sd and other is hd. and most lower end prosumer hd cams are using CMOS instead of 3ccd but from what I read the CMOS chips have come a long way, but I know from the Canon hv20 I've used from a friend it's very noise in the image, is this ture of the higher quality ones? and non tape based ones. I would like to switch to a tapeless workflow however if the avchd isn't going to be any more quality than say the hv20/30 I would just get the gl2

any advice?

I would like to stay under $1000 preferably under $500 used. (I can find gl2s for about $200, but still I guess you have to figure dv tapes too where as you can reuse sd card etc)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
Re: buying sugestions
on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:29:44 pm

well I've decided to not buy an SD camera, because it will just be like throwing money away.. SD is at it's end of life, no way around it.

even if I still like SD sometimes

[Everyone Still using Beta SP Cams please hold your comments to yourself's about how much better looking SD is. :)]

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 1, 2010 at 4:56:18 am

Have you taken a look at the Canon T2i?

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 1, 2010 at 5:00:30 am

Yes I have, one of my friends just bought one and he loves it, however he doesn't do extended recording.. I need to be able to record for a few hrs. and DSLRs over heart and get artifacts too from long runs, from what I read.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 1, 2010 at 3:56:49 pm

I have heard that the T2i and the 7D overheat. The 5D is not supposed to have problems with overheating in general, although some people have reported a few exceptions. I have no idea why.

I also have a pair of Canon HF S10's in AVCHD that I love. I can get 2hrs 55mins of maximum quality (24 MBps) on 32GB Transcend Class 6 cards, and for the money the image quality is great. It's not P2 or SxS, but for the money you cannot beat it. I think they made some small improvements with the Canon HF S11.

I had a Sony HDR-FX1 in HDV, and I was very hesitant to go tapeless; but now that I have gone tapeless I would not go back. Hard drives are so cheap nowadays, so I just back everything up, multiple redundancy, and it is still wayy cheaper than $7.00 per HDV tape.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 1, 2010 at 6:15:22 pm

yeah AVCHD or dslrs are the way to too..

I normally pefer cannons cameras, but I'm just not a fan of single CMOS chips. 3CMOS is fine..
the only ones I've been able to find reasonably cheap that are 3ccd are Panasonic's.

so I found these 3ccd

PANASONIC AG-HSC1U - Pro Line from 2007 3ccd small camera

PANASONIC HDC-SD5 - Same Camera

Panasonic HDC-SX5 - same as the one above with a dvd but want use dvd part, it is sliver sadly but these seam to be cheaper than he HDC-SD5 (probably because of color)..

not sure which one I'll get depends on what I find at the time I get my student loan disbursement.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 1, 2010 at 6:35:35 pm

>>I normally pefer cannons cameras, but I'm just not a fan of single CMOS chips. 3CMOS is fine..
the only ones I've been able to find reasonably cheap that are 3ccd are Panasonic's.

I don't care what you purchase, and I don't want to trash Panasonic, but I have a buddy with a 3CCD Panasonic with three liiiitttttle tinnyy CCD's. His colorspace is awful compared to the Canon, and his clips always look all washed out. You can bump it in post, but what is the point?

I would be sure to physically eyeball the visual output before making any kind of a purchasing decision just based on spec.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 2, 2010 at 12:49:12 am

I have never owned or used a panasonic camera... so maybe I should stay away from them..

I have however used an HV20 from cannon many time (I don't own it) I imagening the optics are the same from the HV20,30 and HF series or similar.

it takes great hd footage but it gets blocky if you film SD on it.... however that many have something to do with lighting.. not really sure..

You could have told me it was a whole other camera using it from SD then HD.

I shot this with the HV 20

it's okay, I'm pretty shake with it in the beginning of the week I shot it, but I got using to holding it (using Xgrip) by the end of the week, I got steadier but about the only thing from the end of the week I used was the shaving cream pool clips...

if I don't when the auction on the panasonic I will get a cannon probably but the Panasonic is currently about $100 with less than 1hr left..

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 2, 2010 at 1:46:32 am

well I ended up wining it for $180. I can't really complain about that...

the canons are nicer but the cheapest I found a used one going for was about $600 with some time left (and I wouldn't want to spend that much of my student loan right now)

It cam with the camera, a good case, extended life batter (aprox 4hrs runtime), and battery charger.. no SDHC card, but I guess I can get one of those off newegg for like $10 for class 6..

I already have an xgrip... would you recommend buying a lens hood for it? I will mainly shoot out doors but sometimes indoors..

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 2, 2010 at 1:49:30 am

Hey, a budget is a budget. I am glad you got something that will work for you :)

A lens hood is a good idea if you can spare a few dollars. It keeps the sun (and over overhead lights) off of the lens, which eliminates unwanted glare.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 2, 2010 at 1:55:59 am

Thanks!

yeah, I guess I'm off the opinion you can make just about any camera work if you need too.

I will probably get one then. although sometimes lens glare adds a nice effect- but only when you want it.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 2, 2010 at 1:58:59 am

You know, the best way to improve your video quality is a tripod. It sounds like a fluid-filled head is outside of your budget, but even an inexpensive one will give you a way better viewer experience than hand-held, and it eliminates the need for expensive stabilization software.

Between that and your X-grip and maybe a lens hood, it sounds like you should have a good start.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]