FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to shoot slow motion videos using Canon Vixia HV30?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shyam Prasad Kumpati
How to shoot slow motion videos using Canon Vixia HV30?
on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:56:35 pm

Hi,

I want to shoot slow motion videos using my Canon Vixia HV30 camcorder. Can someone suggest me please?

Shyam

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: How to shoot slow motion videos using Canon Vixia HV30?
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:24:57 pm

Increase your fps and in post slow it down.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Shyam Prasad Kumpati
on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:04:18 pm

Thanks for your response, Alan. You are always the first one to respond :)!! Is it possible to reduce/increase fps in canon vixia HV30? If yes, please let me know the steps. I am a beginer - so please bear with my questions.

Shyam Prasad Kumpati

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:47:45 pm

No, it is not possible to increase the fps with that camera... or with most cameras for that matter.

If you shoot "regular" 60i video you can slow it down to 40% on your timeline and it will cut pretty well with 24p footage.

What you should do, though, is increase your shutter speed (which is different from fps or framerate, which you can't increase). Slow-mo footage should typically be shot with a shutter speed of 1/120th of a second or so, rather than the "normal" shutter speed of 1/48th or 1/60th. Unfortunately though I think the HV30 lacks a full manual mode that gives you control over that. You'll have to "trick" that camera into a higher shutter speed by getting it to default to a higher shutter (extremely bright light, etc.) and doing an exposure lock.

It will be tricky though, the HV30 is really somewhat underfeatured to be able to do what you want... but we all do with what we have and you might be able to get it done.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Shyam Prasad Kumpati
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:17:22 pm

Thanks Todd for your great reply!! when I increase the shutter speed beyond 1/100, the picture is fluttering - do you know why? once I capture video at a higher shutter speed, what should I do next to see the slow motion footage? Shud I do something in the editing in order to convert into slow-motion footage? Please explain

Shyam Prasad Kumpati

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:04:39 pm

Todd is correct. I should have said shutter speed. The frame rate remains the same but each frame is taken faster, thus less motion blur but also less light exposing each frame.

With the HV30 you can adjust shutter speed.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/high_definition_c...

Save the PDF of the user manual and it makes it easy to do a search for any given feature.

Set switch on side of camera to P not auto

On back of cam press “func” (function) button.

Use joystick to select TV (one push to the right)

Press func button to exit menu

Use joystick up and down to set shutter speed.

Aperture will adjust automatically.

Press joystick in like a button.
Press it again to toggle on and off.
While its control graphic appears on the LCD,
Press down for “next.”
Press up into the function you want to set.
Then right or left to make changes.
EXP is exposure.
But keep in mind, that faster shutter speeds require more light which is why “fast” cameras/lens have greater apertures.
Experiment. Take a shot you want to slow down and try it with all normal settings (30p). Load it into your editor and see if the results are acceptable.

As for how to slow it down in your editing program: what program do you use? Post in the proper forum for that program.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Jul 30, 2010 at 8:02:20 am

Todd certainly knows this, but because I was a neophyte until very recently I'm going to repeat it here: the best trick with pro-sumer cameras (the Vixia, as nice as its images are, unfortunately isn't quite there) is shoot at 1080 60i for Slow Mo and 1080 24p (or F) for everything else (assuming you want slow mo, otherwise ignore), this essentially equates to over-cranking by 250%. Thus your final product can be at 40% speed. You will need to slow the 1080 60i stuff down through AE, Motion or something similar and then drop it into a 24p timeline, but the results are beautiful (and arguably special as most pro-sumer stuff that is slow mo is done in the NLE and rather stuttery). I think the new JVC cameras ( maybe Panasonic?) can properly over-crank, but my Canon XLH1 can not.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Shyam Prasad Kumpati
on Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18:48 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. I shall try the suggestions very soon and let me know how it turns out to be.

Shyam

Shyam Prasad Kumpati

Return to posts index

Shyam Prasad Kumpati
on Aug 1, 2010 at 9:26:15 am

Typo...

soon and let *see* how it turns out to be.

Shyam Prasad Kumpati

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]