FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D noise

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Abel
7D noise
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:31:52 pm

I recently purchased a 7D and am just trying to get an handle on using a DSLR for shooting video. However, I'm running into a situation and I'm hoping someone here can help clarify it for me. In the few test shoots I've done so far the footage has had a massive amount of colored noise in it. The footage looks no where near as sharp as I've seen else where. I've included a screenshot of an example.

Is this normal? Are there settings necessary to reducing this problem? I'm shooting using a Canon Ef-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 Is Image Stabilized Zoom Lens, could it be an issue with the lens? Or is it my camera? Do I need it looked at?

Any suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: 7D noise
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:47:06 pm

What is your ISO set to? Turn it to a lower setting (not auto, experiment with ISO 800 or lower).

This will reduce the camera's sensitivity to light but will improve or completely remove the noise in the image. It appears that you're in some sort of dark room; if the camera is set to auto ISO, it will automatically crank it up to compensate for low light which obviously looks lousy.

Your lens is ok but not ideal. It's not going to make the image noisy though.

Return to posts index

Ken Evans
Re: 7D noise
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:31:46 pm

High ISO noise in the reds and blacks.

You either need more light or a faster lens. These cameras work great at 1000 ISO with an f1.2 lens. I'd suggest you were into the many thousands with that ISO value.

You could probably get away with up to 1600 at f2 when shooting dark scenes and be content with the quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]