FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HFS100 - how to best shoot green screen?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Laurence
Canon HFS100 - how to best shoot green screen?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:41:51 pm

Hey all,

The only camcorder I have access to is a Canon HFS100 - all in all a really good little camera. However, I am about to embark on a green screen project, and I'm unsure how to proceed best.

What is the best way to shoot green screen footage using this camera? It has no firewire, so I can't go straight out and capture raw footage (I don't have the equipment for that anyway, sadly). But what mode should I use on this camera to capture the absolutely best possible green screen footage for the cleanest key? Assuming my lights are even and everything outside the camera is properly set up, of course.

Most of the articles I could find on 4:1:1 blockiness and chroma keying issues with edge detail are a few years old, referencing like AE6 and such. I assume there have been some pretty impressive moves in keying technology - should I not worry about the 4:1:1 issue and just shoot and hope that the keying software will work for me?

Or - as a crazy concept - since the resolution of some parts of the 4:1:1 color space are 1/4 that of the luma channel... is there a way to convert the footage to the right space, shrink it to 50% of its original size (assuming I'm shooting 1920x1080 shrinking to 50% will still leave me plenty of headroom size-wise for this web video)? My hunch is that this would effectively shrink the pixels of the 1/4-res channels, effectively making them higher-res, but since the luma channel is already at full res, it would just downsample it. Would this WORK? Would it produce a cleaner key? Or would the compression inherent in AVCHD make this that much worse somehow? I'd LOVE some opinions on whether or not this would work.

Thanks so much for the great forums and the wonderful resource!

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]