FORUMS: list search recent posts

remaining recording time on 5D

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Black
remaining recording time on 5D
on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:54:32 am

I've searched the forum and cannot find the answer to this question. How does one tell on the 5D the remaining space on your CF card as you are shooting? Especially helpful if it is displayed in minutes and seconds. Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
Re: remaining recording time on 5D
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:05:38 am

I believe there is no direct countdown feature for remaining video minutes on the 5D. However, on the top you see sth like 999 which is used to indicate card space for remaining photos (remember? it's a stills camera... hahaha). If you have a big enough card (e.g. 32GB) that number will not go down for a long time. But when it reaches, say, 400, it's best to start thinking of switching cards.

How fast your memory gets eaten away also depends on what you're recording. If it contains lots of movement (either camera or subject) you can record shorter than a talking head on a fixed background. Recording only goes up until 4GB for a single take. The maximum length of one take can therefore vary between, say 10 and 15 minutes, depending on the motion.

Whenever I am recording takes of this length (e.g. presentations), I start to think about finding a quick pause (edit point) around 10-12 mins. You DO run the risk of getting an overheated processor if you record for such long periods, although I never had it - yet.

(knocking on wood now)

;-)

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: remaining recording time on 5D
on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:07:05 am

It's all there under," INFO" C1 Tv Possible shots Freespace say CF (292) 3.18 GB and counting, you cannot go wrong? and includes video ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]