FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon EOS 5d Mark II vs. Panasonic DVX-100-B

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Peterson
Canon EOS 5d Mark II vs. Panasonic DVX-100-B
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:46:33 pm

I just graduated from college and am looking to buy a camera to pursue my career in film. At the moment I have about a $4,000 budget that can go over a little bit.

The two cameras I'm looking at are the Canon EOS 5d Mark II and the Panasonic DVX100-B.

I would use the Canon for pictures as well though, so it wouldn't simply be wasted on video. The only thing I'm really concerned about is the audio situation. My old camera obviously didn't have any mic ports and although the Canon does, I know it doesn't have sound bars or any kind of adjustment or anything that a traditional 3ccd camcorder would.

Concerning the DVX100-B it seems like an okay camera for what I would be doing. Plus it has XLR inputs which is the main reason I'm considering it(or any other camcorder for that matter) but I keep looking back at the EOS due to the images I've seen on sites of the video, and the look and feel that it creates.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, and if you think there are other cameras that could possibly fit into my category feel free to list them as well.

Thank you for you time.

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
Re: Canon EOS 5d Mark II vs. Panasonic DVX-100-B
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:34:26 am

Depends on what you need to accomplish.

Do you just want video for fun? Web? Broadcast? Big screen theatrical exhibition? You say you want to shoot stills too... You get the point... Get very clear about what you must be able to do and the answer will be much easier...

Both are great cameras and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts once I know your goals.

10.6.1, MacPro Quad 6GB RAM, Macbook Pro 17" w/G-Tech 2 TB GRaid with Sonnet Tempo eSATA via express card, FCS3, TC Electronic Impact Twin FW audio interface, 2 DVX100Bs

Return to posts index

Bill Peterson
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:11:18 pm

Hey Jim and Matias thanks for the replies.

Well I would mostly use the camera for making short films and submitting them to film festivals(and posting shorts online). So yeah it would mostly be used for simply shooting video though(although as stated I would use the EOS 5D a lot for stills as well).

The only main factor was the audio(and perhaps a few other small issues that I can't recall now that conventional DSLR's have to compete with against camcorders), how well are the JuicedLink XLR adapters Matias? I haven't done much research but they seem like they could overcome the audio issue(I just watched their demonstration video and if I'm correct the adapters have a volume meter as well as manual audio adjustment knobs.)

So yeah, thanks again for the replies guys. Tell me what you think and I'll keep you updated on what I decide.

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:15:32 pm

I agree with Matias the 5D is definitely more 'today' and it is definitely 'capable' of far more impressive images, but there are a couple of key you should consider...

1. Total price, the Canon 5D with even just 2 or three good lenses will probably set you back at least $1500 more than the internet DVX price.
2. There were early concerns with the 5Ds lack of image stabilization which lead early users to say that it was useless for shooting handheld footage. I believe that a firmware update added a stabilization feature, but I have not spoken to anyone who is using it handheld. The best example footage on the web (which makes the little voice in my head scream BUY!!!) was shot either with a tripod or a pricey shoulder mount unit from Redrock or Zacuto. These rigs are great and they convert the 5D into a real filmaker rig, BUT your final tag will likely be a minimum of $7,000+. or more, including the XLR sound interface. Also, some of the most impressive footage making me swoon was shot by a pulitzer prize winning still photographer, and I am guessing he probably used $10,000 worth of glass he just happened to have lying around.
3. The 5D has no motorized zoom, so if you plan to zoom in your films you will have to rely on how smooth a hand you have, which is risky, because it can cause you to jiggle the camera in handlheld applications.
4. All the controls are still shooter oriented which makes it a bit un-ergonomic, but as an artist, your supposed to suffer right?

Frankly I am drooling over the 5D with a shouldermount, mattebox and followfocus add-on, but am working on my filmaking chops on a camera that even ASCs I know own and love, the DVX.

I figure the 5D (and maybe some newcomers!) will only be cheaper and better in 6 months so why rush, when you can make good movies right now on the DVX. I doubt I will be able to contain myself much longer than 6 months though, the 5D is 'capable' of such amazing footage. So... If money is no object, go for it!

10.6.1, MacPro Quad 6GB RAM, Macbook Pro 17" w/G-Tech 2 TB GRaid with Sonnet Tempo eSATA via express card, FCS3, TC Electronic Impact Twin FW audio interface, 2 DVX100Bs

Return to posts index

Bill Peterson
on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:53:00 pm

Hmmm well thinking about it now, the DVX does look a little bit more in my price range for the moment.

I would love to get the 5D but with the DVX already being ready to go out of the box(not having to buy extras), and with the lower price tag it seems like the better choice for now at least(not to mention I'm going to need to get a new computer soon to edit HD).

I'll do a bit more research but I'll probably end up going with the DVX, old or not it should get the job done either way.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matias Rispau
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:14:47 pm

Buy the 5d and a JuicedLink XLR adapter. that´s it.

The DVX100 it´s a great camera but lets face it... it´s geting old.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:50:32 pm

Just curious, have you considered the AG-HMC150?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/575992-REG/Panasonic_AG_HMC150PJU.htm...

I haven't used this camera before, but I've seen some great images come from it. I think the 5D/7D is great too... I'm acually thinking of getting one next year (depending on how good the Panasonic AG-AF100 or Red Scarlett turns out).

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Peterson
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:21:57 pm

Hey Shawn,

Now that you mention it I actually have been looking at the HMC-150 lately(just realized that when I posted this thread I was comparing the DVX) . I checked it out a few weeks ago at B&H and it seemed pretty good.

Now that you made me realize I've been thinking about the HMC-150 with all these replies I feel a bit silly. Still hung up though on what to get.

I'm going to do some price comparisons and see what I come up with. What do you think though, upgrade a 5D with some extras(redrock mount/juicelink audio), or stay with the HMC-150 and just deal with getting shotgun mics/equipment?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:35:31 am

Hmmm... good questions. I haven't used either camera, but people seem to be doing good work with both of them, so it probably comes down to your individual needs. I love the low light abilities and shallow DOF of the D5/7, but I (personally) would lean toward the HM150 because of audio, form factor and familiarity with Panasonic controls (I've shot a lot with the DVX100, HPX200 and HPX500). Because of that, I would be tempted to get the HMC150 with an Audio Technica BP4073, a PSC DV PROMIX 3 mixer and one of the cheaper Gitzo fish poles with a fish pole holder... but that's just me. :-)

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:13:42 pm

Here's another great example of 5D footage that won wedding videographer of the year. Really awesome. Shooter used a Merlin Steadicam which you can get barebones for $800. Most operators will want the vest/arm which adds another$1500. So once again $7K for be ready for all day shooting.

Sweeping handheld shots look awesome though. Check it out. Note: The close shots were shot using a 7D. Not sure why.

http://www.tiffen.com/handheldmerlin.html

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:32:22 pm

Definitely check this link out to fully understand the current limitations of the 5D for serious filmmaking.

Very sharp analysis of the 5D pros and cons by a post production house that deals with the nitty gritty problems... A good counter balance to our mutual excitement. The more you know... the more you know.

http://www.moving-picture.com/index.php/canon-workflow.html

Return to posts index

Bill Peterson
on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:42:12 pm

Thanks a ton for all this information Jim. I'm going to go to a local store today and take a look at the 5D to see how it feels along with the lenses.

I'll keep you updated with my findings. Thanks for everything as always!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]