FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon GL1 blurry and bad quality. what could the problem be?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boone
Canon GL1 blurry and bad quality. what could the problem be?
on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:54:54 pm

I work for a camp that used to use Canon GL1s and Gl2s but they were all broken so they use the Canon Vixia HF10s now. I found a GL1 that works and I can log footage from, but the footage is pretty blurry and low quality. Even the Panasonic GS250,GS300s we have take better quality.

I know the GL1 is a good quality camera. Could this be that the chips have worn out? like the ccds or something? Can that be fixed relatively cheaply?

Thanks for any advice,
Paul

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon GL1 blurry and bad quality. what could the problem be?
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:02:19 pm

Can't imagine what would make the image "blurry," unless there was a lens problem... but as to:

[Paul Boone] "Could this be that the chips have worn out? like the ccds or something? Can that be fixed relatively cheaply?"

Sadly, the answer is no. If the CCDs are actually the issue, that repair would cost much more than the value of the camera, especially considering that it is older and probably not worth that much.

I have one dead pixel in an otherwise-mint XLH1 and the repair facility we use told us that they could indeed fix it, but that it would require replacing the entire chip block and would be cheaper just to buy a brand-new camera body (and the H1 is a relatively expensive camera).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Paul Boone
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:27:00 pm

[Todd Terry] "Sadly, the answer is no. If the CCDs are actually the issue, that repair would cost much more than the value of the camera, especially considering that it is older and probably not worth that much.

I have one dead pixel in an otherwise-mint XLH1 and the repair facility we use told us that they could indeed fix it, but that it would require replacing the entire chip block and would be cheaper just to buy a brand-new camera body (and the H1 is a relatively expensive camera)."

So this should be good news then right? I mean.. I'm really hoping that my footage is coming out badly because of my own incompetence and the camera is fine.

Is there anything else that could be wrong with the camera? One other thing, I can't really zoom in other than slightly or the picture will be completely blurred with nothing recognizable. does this give any more info?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 28, 2010 at 8:04:55 pm

[Paul Boone] "So this should be good news then right?"

Depends on what your definition of "good" is, I suppose.

Sounds to me then the CCD block is probably ok, but you have a lens issue of some sort. I'm not sure if that's a better or worse problem to have... just a different problem.

[Paul Boone] "I can't really zoom in other than slightly or the picture will be completely blurred"

I'm only minorly familiar with the GL1... is there any kind of macro (closeup) setting on the lens that could be accidentally turned on? Barring that, I don't know why any zooming in would cause blurring to the point of unrecognizable images.

If there is a lens problem (either mechanical or electronic), there's nothing you can do about it yourself, no do-it-myself quick fixes... especially since this is a non-removable fixed-lens camera (you can't, for example, adjust the lens backfocus or swap the lens with another one to check it). The best you can do it send it in for service and hope the estimate doesn't choke you.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:37:27 am

I'm going to assume the obvious based on "I can't really zoom in other than slightly or the picture will be completely blurred" , but perhaps it's set for manual focus (or a macro setting like Todd said) and you think it's supposed to be in auto focus? If not, there could be a backfocus issue that I believe is not user adjustable on the GL1.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:50:23 pm

Well, first off, it's a GL-1!

(grin)

Seriously, it sounds like a lens issue. Bad news is, if it's broken, it's probably not repairable. Canon no longer supports XL-1/GL-1 vintage cameras.

Good news is, it's probably replaceable for less than the GL-1 was new, and by a better camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]