FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HDV 1080/30F Deck?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DeViteri
Canon HDV 1080/30F Deck?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:53:26 pm

Does anyone know of a deck that can play the Canon HDV 1080/30F recorded on a Canon XH-G1? This is the same camera as XH-A1, but with the addition of BNCs for SDI/TC/Genlock. It's about a 2 year old camera and Canon has upgraded their line to now have the XH-G1S and XH-A1S, but they all still record this same format.

A lot of people say the Sony HDV decks will play them back, but that is completely not true for the HDV 1080/30F format, and from what I'm gathering it is also the case for the 1080/24F format. Personally, I have only had luck capturing tapes to a machine directly from the camera over Firewire, by playing them from the camera (over the HD-SDI) then dubbing to another format, or playing (over the HD-SDI) straight into a system via a video capture hardware interface (like the AJA Kona 3).

If anyone has any success stories, I'd love to hear them!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
Re: Canon HDV 1080/30F Deck?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:21:00 pm

well, apparently the Sony M35U is the only one that will work...

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:53:37 pm

Any HDV deck at all should be able to play back standard 1080i HDV from Canon's cameras. It's Canon's frame modes (24f, 30f) that need a helping hand. And you're right, the Sony M35U will play back Canon's frame modes, and unless I'm mistaken the M15AU will as well. I've seen several references regarding it on another forum.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 16, 2010 at 8:18:18 pm

We are in a similar situation, since we shoot a lot of 24f HDV video with the Canon XLH1.

A lot of people do what we do, which is equip our suites with the little (and cheap) HV20 camcorders (or HV30... both of which are plentiful and dirt cheap on eBay with low miles).

Those little guys play back their big brothers' 24f and 30f footage just fine and dandy.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]