FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HV30 firewire port not working?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Rekoba
Canon HV30 firewire port not working?
on Jun 12, 2010 at 7:44:34 pm

Help needed?

I have a Canon hv30 and its been working fine in terms of capturing tapes to my PC computer and also streaming via other computers.

Naturally to do this i am using the firewire port but it now has stopped working does not connect in any pc desktops/laptops.

Seems to be a problem with the firewire port itself on the camcorder.

The camcorder is now out of warranty.

has anyone else experienced this and what is the solution in terms of getting it to work again?

help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zike.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Canon HV30 firewire port not working?
on Jun 12, 2010 at 11:34:04 pm

try reset button.

try a different cable.

try connecting, powered on, cued up, then launch editing program.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Jun 13, 2010 at 1:05:22 pm

If this is something that just happened? worked ok on the same computer before? disconnect the firewire and check in the menu and make sure you are in the proper mode, HDV or DV, with power off on both machine and cam connect firewire(its not a good idea to hot-plug camcorders with firewire, it has been known to blow a port either on the cam or computer or both) power up the computer and open the device manager, if in the HDV mode open the "Video, Sound and Game controller" section, turn on the cam in the vcr mode, the cam should appear as a Canon HV30, If not try a different cable, if it doesn't work on other computers with a new cable, try connecting to another 1080i HDV camcorder both in the vcr mode and see if the other cam gives recognition, if not you may have a blown port on the cam and need to get it repaired.

Return to posts index

Carl Palicke
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:47:07 am

Okay, here's one for you guys... I have a HV30 as well. Have been using it to import HDV footage in FCP 7.02 on a MacPro Dual 8 core system. Never had any problems until recently. When connected to the MacPro the camera is only recognized by FCP as an SD DV deck, and will import footage in 720 x 480, but not in HDV. When I set up FCP for HDV 1080 60i via firewire and go to log and capture, FCP gives me an error message saying that it can not connect to the deck in HDV. Will reseting the camera fix this? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

-Carl

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:15:51 pm

The HV30 can play out as either SD or HDV. It's a menu setting. It won't hurt anything to use the reset button. You might want to jot down your user settings first. Pretty sure the default in and out is HDV.

It is also possible it was accidentally recorded in SD wide.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/high_definition_c...

Save the PDF of the user manual and it makes it easy to do a search for any given feature.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]