FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D PC System Requirements

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Grey
Canon 7D PC System Requirements
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:55:16 pm

What sort of system specs would you recommend for real time editing on a PC? I use Sony Vegas Pro 9 and I need a new computer that can handle 7D footage. I'm looking at an HP and I've done my research but I've still got anxiety about committing to what is for me a major purchase.

The specs are:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-270f
Processor: 2.8GHz Intel Core i7-930
Cache: L2: 1MB / L3: 8MB
Memory: Slots: 4x DIMM
........Type: PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
........Installed: 8GB (4x2GB)
........Capacity: 24GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Does that sound powerful enough for my needs?

Return to posts index

David Keslick
Re: Canon 7D PC System Requirements
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:17:11 pm

Even the newest fasted systems could have trouble playing 7d footage. Especially once you add transitions and other effects. The new Premiere CS5 with its new mercury engine claims realtime playback and Edius also claims realtime playback. If you want to stay with Vegas than you can transcode or try DVFilm EPIC, which enables realtime playback without transcoding even with a laptop.

Dave Keslick
DVFilm.com

Return to posts index

Phillip Grey
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:26:21 pm

Oh, I intend to transcode. I didn't mean editing straight from the camera; I just meant editing transcoded 7D footage. I'll probably use Neoscene.

I'll definitely be staying with Vegas.

Return to posts index

Phillip Grey
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:45:08 pm

So now that I've clarified, would you see I'm good to buy this computer?

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:02:36 pm

I would say this should be fast enough. Just make sure you've got enough HDD space, and you are backing up that HDD so if it fails you've got a backup. Might be worth the speed trouble to make sure you have a Firewire 800 card installed in the PC, as well as a Lexar Professional CF Card reader. Those things are a life saver.... 2-3 minutes to dump a full CF card instead of many more minutes for USB 2.0. Plus you could edit off of faster external drives... just something to think about.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Erik Wright-Olsen
on Jun 21, 2010 at 7:23:30 pm

If I'm editing in Final Cut Pro, once I've transcoded 1080p 24fps footage, is there a snowball's chance in heck that a 5400 rpm drive will work, or do I need 7200?

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:49:04 am

Philip, I'm running Vegas 9.0e on an HP with i-5 and a Samsung i5 laptop. Both work fine. Make sure that you have an outboard drive, as the laptop seems to have difficulties with playback on the internal system but plays fine after rendered out and played on anything else (like a standard WMP or Quicktime player file played on a DVD or external drive). I've had a bit of aggravation with playback on the desktop machine even with the external drive, as Vegas seems to be having some problems with that using either MOV or transcoded AVI, but I assume that Sony is working on that issue,as I'm not the only one complaining about it. I work around it for now, but it appears that Vegas might need to start making use of video graphics cards better, as they have always claimed to not need high end video cards to playback. I must say that the same footage, moved to Final Cut Pro on a high end Mac Pro, plays flawlessly on the monitor, no jumpiness. With both machines having tons of Video Ram, it's not the footage!

On my Windows boxes, I've gone to the eSata doc, running off an eSata internal card add on for the desktop and the newer Samsung has an eSata port, but I've experienced a few problems with it going to sleep on me.

As to the question of 5400 RPM drives on the Mac, if they are firewire as opposed to USB, you might have the snowballs chance. The Canon T2i (550d) footage does seem to work fine with my older slower drives on my Mac (I have both newer faster drives and some older slower ones, all not the drive that holds the OS, remember). My Mac has 12 GBs of RAM by the way, so that may be also be an issue if you don't have a lot of RAM. My older MBPro is pretty much useless except for Pro-Res Proxy, which is a pain. I'm in the midst of transitioning to Vegas for laptop field use. Much easier to use than FCP in the field!

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]