FORUMS: list search recent posts

I/O error in 5D mov file at download

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elaine Odell
I/O error in 5D mov file at download
on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:25:14 am

Today, we experienced our first I/O errors when downloading a card of mov files. I'm stumped as to how to eliminate this in the future and could use any advice one might share. (3 mov i/o errors on different 16gig Lexar cards.) We are finding the files won't open, nor copy to the hard drive.

There are two big changes in our camera this week that may/may not cause this: 1) addition of a LCDVF view finder (attaches via magnets to metal plate on LCD) and 2) camera fell and hit the sidewalk from a height of 2.5-3 feet (I can truthfully say my assistant was trying to attach to tripod, and, well, you can imagine the rest...he feel's pretty bad about it).

The only visible damage to the camera from the tumble are the scratches on the battery grip and lens shade.

Any ideas? Is my camera toast? We'll will some diagnostic fixes on the cards, via Lexar's downloads. But as you might imagine, we're kinda worried. Thanks in advance for your help.

Elaine Odell
http://www.churchhillphoto.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
Re: I/O error in 5D mov file at download
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:24:07 pm

I would say the camera drop would be the most likely candidate here. I've been using the LCDVF with no issues for quite some time.

Might want to get the camera checked out. Are you able to recreate the I/O errors with other cards you stick in the camera and shoot test shots with?

As for the media on the cards.... they might be toast. You could try a file recovery program, and point to the disc to see if it is corrupt. Could also be the card reader (probably not, but try a different reader, just in case)... if you are able to recover the media, I would check the cards for cosmetic damage, reformat using a computer, then reformat in a different camera. Shoot tests, bring those in, see if they are corrupted. Then try on the original camera.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]