FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting HV30 footage on a different camera

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Hole
Exporting HV30 footage on a different camera
on Jun 5, 2010 at 9:51:36 pm

My HV30 cam has broken and we need to import some extra shots for the film we made.

Does anyone know if you can just use any other 1080p camera. The problem is that all the 1080p cameras I have access to are solid state/tapeless and 1080i cams won't work.

Isn't the HV20/30 a psuedo 1080p anyway so is an actual 1080p camera likely to work?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Exporting HV30 footage on a different camera
on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:54:43 am

It depends on the footage, whether it was shot with that Canon, and if so what mode it was shot in.

If you shot in either of the Canon flavors of progressive (what they call 24F and 3OF), then unfortunately most HDV decks will not read the footage. Canon's idiosyncrasies of the 24F/30F require they be played back by Canon equipment that can specifically read it... or very few HDV decks that can also handle the footage (such as the Sony M35).

We have a similar situation in our shop. Most of the video we shoot is with the Canon XLH1 at 24fps (ok, 23.976fps). To injest the video into our suites, we use little (and cheap) Canon HV20 camcorders... which play the 24f footage fine. I don't like using camcorders as source decks, but in this instance it was a lot cheaper to use them than to equip each suite with another specific "real" deck that can read the footage.

In this case, your best bet is probably to beg/borrow/steal/rent/buy another HV30, or an HV20. If you are going to be doing a lot of this... your best bet is probably to get your hands on another permanent one if yours can't be repaired. The good news is, the last time I checked they were practically giving away low-hours HV-20s on eBay.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Hole
Re: Exporting HV30 footage on a different camera
on Jun 6, 2010 at 1:25:16 am

Thanks for the response.

It was a long time ago, and I shoot with RED now. This camera was just for one project in Poland for ease of shooting and worked really well considering.

It is 25p - well Canon's version of which, I am guessing. Not having access to the camera I can only say that this for sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]