FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannon FX - Canon EOS

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Alva
Cannon FX - Canon EOS
on May 20, 2010 at 5:59:46 pm

Hi folks,

Quick question... I'm getting ready to buy possibly a Cannon D7, I'm wondering if I can use lenses from my old Canon FX SLR (old School)..the lens mount will fit? , I'm ovbiously not thinking about the auto functions.

Thanks

Rodrigo Alva

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Cannon FX - Canon EOS
on May 20, 2010 at 7:20:07 pm

It looks like the FX used Canon FL mount lenses, which are more or less mechanically similar to Canon's old FD lenses. That's some classic equipment, for sure.

Those older lenses will NOT directly fit onto the 7D. The 7D, like all modern Canon cameras, uses the EOS mount which is totally different than the FL/FD mount. There are adapters to fit FD to the 7D, but there's two types; simple metal ring adapters which won't allow the lens to focus to infinity, or optical adapters which are expensive and degrade the image quality of the lens.

So, unless you have some very special high-end lenses from your FX kit, I would relegate them to antique collectible status and buy some new glass for the 7D. The 7D is a great camera, so it's worth it.

Also, stay away from the kit lens and get some good glass for it.

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Alva
Re: Cannon FX - Canon EOS
on May 20, 2010 at 7:26:36 pm

Oh thanks, I was checking ont he rings adapter an researching on them.. yeah I kind of figure it will be not worth it, but since there is some sentimental attachment to them was thinking about it.

Thanks a lot Micah , this answers all my doubts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]