FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon VIXIA HF 200 HD Flash Memory Camcorder

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shirley Gutierrez
Canon VIXIA HF 200 HD Flash Memory Camcorder
on May 14, 2010 at 6:50:52 pm

Hi Folks,
I'm thinking of getting this little camcorder, and I'm wondering if anyone has opinions about the workflow into FCP. I've never worked with the AVHCD codec before, nor have I ever input to FCP via USB 2.0, which I've read is the route from this particular camera. Also, I'm just a little at sea in this product line generally in terms of determining which of these is really the top of the line. Lastly, it seems some of these camcorders have internal flash memory, and some use cards. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?
Many thanks in advance for your help. I'm relatively new to Cow, and if I've inadvertently posted in the wrong forum, my apologies.
Best,
Shirley

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Canon VIXIA HF 200 HD Flash Memory Camcorder
on May 15, 2010 at 2:12:20 am

Hi Shirley,

I've got that exact same camera and I'm very happy with it as a consumer level camera. To import into FCP you simply connect the camera via USB cable (or use a stand-alone memory card reader) select File - Log and Transfer, and the clips appear in the Log and Transfer window. From there you can select which ones to capture. I've been capturing as Apple ProRes 422 (LT) and the video looks great. Be warned however, that the transferred video file size is huge compared to the original AVCHD (for about 30 minutes of video you'll need about 28 GB of space, another reason to use LT vs HQ ProRes 422).

As far as the different Canon cameras are concerned you'll obviously pay more for internal memory, so it's up to you if you want it or not. They generally charge more for the internal memory than the price of an equivalently sized card, and the cards are going to keep getting cheaper. Again it's up to you if you think the advantage of internal memory (more recording time available since you have both internal and a card) is worth the extra cost. I would suggest just comparing the models at Canon's website and googling for reviews. The HF200 is actually the bottom of the line and has been replaced with a newer model, but because of that you should be able to find good deals for it. I got it specifically because Canon makes an inexpensive underwater housing (works great, BTW) that only fits it and its brother the HF20.

Return to posts index

Shirley Gutierrez
on May 15, 2010 at 2:19:50 am

Thanks so much Jim! That's really helpful. I'm particularly glad to know that the workflow into FCP seems easy.
Best,
Shirley

Return to posts index

Robert Medrala
on May 21, 2010 at 8:21:25 pm

I also own this camera and I agree with everything Jim has said. It's a great little camera and yes I love the underwater housing too. I also use FCP and the log & transfer has worked smoothly, and I also use Pro Res for the edit, & the process works smoothly.

I just purchased the new HF S200, it's about twice the size of the HF 200 but it has a larger sensor (8.59 Mega Pixels vs 3.89) and a larger touch sensitive LCD screen which is great for focus & exposure adjustments. It also has several additional features that none of the other models have like shooting native 24P.

The HF S 200, 20, & 21 are the same camera except for the amount of internal memory and the HF S21 also has a view finder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]