FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH-A1 with HD Recorder?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Smith
XH-A1 with HD Recorder?
on May 13, 2010 at 1:27:44 am

I've been toying with the idea of using something like a Firestore HD recorder to use with my Canon XH-A1 when shooting conference videos.
I'll still use tape in tandem but like the idea of HD for same-day/event edits for evening highlight reel @ dinner.

Anyone have any experience with my camera & HD recordings?
Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chaz

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
Re: XH-A1 with HD Recorder?
on May 13, 2010 at 1:57:24 pm

I can tell you it works; my only concern is that the firewire connection is very... consumer. If the camera is locked down and you can secure the HD with lots of Gaf tape (or on the hot shoe) you should be fine. For anything moving I was always concerned about the cable pulling out as there's really nothing to secure it.

That being said - and especially if you're shooting SD, you really can pull the drive off the camera and start editing immediately. Also, since the FS uses a DOS-based file system, you'll get file breaks every 2GB (or something like that), but in the few times I've used ours it never dropped a frame and the FS files lined right up in my editor.

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on May 13, 2010 at 4:34:11 pm

Thanks Stace:

I'm looking at different options, Firestore, Citidisk, Datacom. Ditto on the unsecure firewire connect.... still don't know why the manufacturers don't have a better connection like a click-release or something... gaff tape is a solution. Also... planning on using Sony Vegas for editing on site, client will be using FCP. So I'm guessing files will be compatible with either / both.

BTW....does the Firestore allow you to "Daisy-chain" the A/V signal to be output to a switcher while recording live? I've got a request to feed the A/V signal for live webstreaming.

Thanks again,

Chaz

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
on May 13, 2010 at 4:37:15 pm

hey Chaz - not sure about output on the FS but I believe the Canon has a BNC out, which is probably what they'd be looking for at the switch.

Cheers,
Stace

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on May 13, 2010 at 4:42:23 pm

Hi again Stace:

Yeah it does but not sure if it will output simultaneously if firewire is connected. I may be wrong but I think the XH-A1 senses a connection for output and once designated...that's all it outputs...
Plus the client has a Jones for firewire...and that's what he wants for streaming. If the FS can daisy-chain the A/V...that would solve the problem... don't know if I can split the FW output.

Thanks again,

Chaz

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
on May 13, 2010 at 4:45:56 pm

You'd have to test - mine has two FW ports but I belive one is video, the other "data".

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on May 13, 2010 at 4:48:49 pm

What model (FS) do you use? I see the FS-C has been discontinued and they now have the FS-CV. I'd need to record HDV... will use tape simultaneously as a backup.

Chaz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]