FORUMS: list search recent posts

EOS Movie Plugin-E1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graeme Smith
EOS Movie Plugin-E1
on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:38:43 pm

I would like to use the new EOS Movie Plugin-E1 to speed up my transcoding in Final Cut Pro 7. Here is the problem that I am having:

We have people on the road dumping data from the Canon EOS 7D memory card directly onto drives. When they return, I am given a drive with all of the MOV and THM files from the memory card. When I attempt to load these files into the Log and Capture on FCP, I get a Warning message stating:

""MIAMI_8252.MOV" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

The Canon site seems to indicate that the transcoding process should take place directly from the memory cards.

Is there any way to use the E1 plugin to speed up my transcoding process (Compressor is taking forever) without having the original memory cards?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Aaron Stewart
Re: EOS Movie Plugin-E1
on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:18:09 pm

Yes, just recreate the file structure of the 7D. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head....

Just look at a memory card. The file structure goes SOMETHING like:

DCIM/EOS7D/your movie.mov

So create a file called DCIM, then a file within that that is EOS7D and then drop your files (both movie and thumbnails) in there. In the EOS-1 plugin select that DCIM file as the one to read off of, and it should pull ALL of your files in.

If that doesn't work make sure my directory structure is right by looking at a memory card straight off the camera and how the files are structured. This should solve your problem.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Graeme Smith
on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:44:30 pm

IT WORKED! THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:37:50 am

No problem. I believe all you really have to have is the DCIM folder with a folder inside of it with the files in it.

The proper folder structure is as follows:

-EOS_Digial
-DCIM
-100EOS7D
- (this is where your .mov and .thm files reside)

I know the EOS_Digital can be renamed to anything. I'm not sure what would happen if the EOS7D disappeared from the name, but my gut tells me that FCP is just looking for the general folder structure with the DCIM > folder > content.

Glad it worked. That plugin is a life-saver.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:31:00 pm

Next time, have your shooter's create a folder and drag the entire 7D Card into it so you will have an image. There is also a way to create an image of your CF Card. That way all of the files are there and you don't have to go back and re-create all the links.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Apr 23, 2010 at 10:55:16 pm

I did a quick tutorial on this, hope it\'s of use

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCS3 / After Effects CS4 / Combustion / Canon 7D / Canon XL2

Return to posts index

Natalie Johns
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:57:27 am

Hi Declan,

I've been using the EOS plug in for a while - but have realized I've been having a problem with some clips not coming in in their entirety. Sometimes they are only missing a few seconds - sometimes only a few seconds of a 10min clip comes in. When I notice it's not in completely - I re-log & transfer the clip from the disc image and it normally goes in second time round... But I've got to be very careful to keep a look out for this. Have you experienced this and if so, what is causing it?

Thanks,
natalie

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:37:34 am

Just started playing around with the E1 plug in, for the last year I've just done MPEGStreamclip with my 5D footage. Let me see if I got this right:
On set: Drag and drop the card director DCIM and MISC folders into a new folder on your desktop. This is your archival master. Card can be re-formatted and shot on again.
In FCP, bring the file created on set into E1, Log and Transfer to whatever codec, ie ProRes, add log notes etc TC will be created from date/time stamp in the THM file
The ProRes or whatever files will live in the Capture Scratch folder, but can be moved into another location, just need to reconnect media in FCP?
That file you initially created on set is your Master.
Bueno?
Also, I have tons of shot footage imported through Bridge CS4 so the THM files came in with the video files. Can I just dump these into DCIM>100EOS5D to use in E1?
In my XDCAM software there's a CRC option when importing the raw footage from the cards to hardrive that double checks the data for corruption. Anyone found a way to emulate this?
Thanks!

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Ken Evans
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:18:08 pm

Just found this fix, thanks! The odd thing was I had to create the inner folder first. If I created the DCIM first, it still failed...

I've had this problem wuth Panasonic ACVHD cameras too and no amount of directory rebuilding will fix it. Even if you copy the folder structure from a card you have and copy clips onto it the added clips still don't appear. On occasion I've had to use a black magic card to capture in analogue to get around this...very frustrating.

Return to posts index

singleton makin
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:06:07 pm

Yes. This looks like it would be similar for my MarkIV but I am not sure exactly.

I was able from the 5D my friend has to use the plug in I think because the CAMERA mounted from the USB cable or more than likely I can't remember as it was a while ago we tested this before the firmware update. But I think he used a USB CARD READER which automatically MOUNTS the CARD as a DRIVE.

However, when I use the USB cable with the MARKIV I have noticed it bypasses the MOUNTING as a DISK, and IMAGE CAPTURE or whatever app I use just shows the FILES...and so I get the same ERROR message as the rest of the group.

I find this to be a problem as my NIKON D90 didn't have this problem...It must be a CANON thing.

Oh so back to the solution. Thanks for posting this for the 7D, can anyone verify what the MARKIV SYSTEM would look like? I really need to use this plug in, and I didn't wish to just go out and NEED to buy a CARD READER to use it...

I assume this DRAG and DROP to a HOME MADE FILE STRUCTURE is the only BEST CASE work around?

Much thanks again for the SUPPORT on this CANON issue!

Singleton

Singleton Makin
"observe the masses and do the opposite!"

Return to posts index

Jeff Franklin
on May 6, 2010 at 9:54:50 pm

We just test the plug-in on a Mac Pro, Snow Leopard, FCP 7 and it was slower than Compressor in creating ProRes clips. The only advantage we see for the plug-in is that it gives you some control over time code and clip names.

Return to posts index

Graeme Smith
on May 6, 2010 at 9:56:57 pm

Actually, we found that it was faster than Compressor. Also, we couldn't load more than 30 or so files at a time into Compressor, whereas the Plug-in allowed for up to 700+.

Return to posts index

Jeff Franklin
on May 6, 2010 at 10:02:25 pm

I wonder if the destination codec makes a difference? We were going to ProRes 422 HQ.

Return to posts index

Graeme Smith
on May 6, 2010 at 10:03:13 pm

Oddly enough, we were using the same destination codec.

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on May 7, 2010 at 3:44:33 am

Shouldn't need to do ProRes HQ if you are importing DSLR footage....

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Franklin
on May 10, 2010 at 10:18:33 pm

What would the appropriate codec be for DSLR footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]