FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAW? and to CD NanoFlash -- and lens question

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
RAW? and to CD NanoFlash -- and lens question
on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:21:55 pm

Fearing I may be showing my credulity...

today, April 1, I read (Philip Bloom) that Canon is releasing a RAW option for the 5d. True? He goes on to say that RAW files are limited to a couple minutes on CF cards due to heat issues.

If true about RAW, would recording to KiPro or Convergent Design NanoFlash be an option?

Or am I just revealing that I am incredibly easy to fool?

On a different front, I am thinking about buying a 5D or 7D in large part for interview videography. I'm a bit dismayed by the zoom range and the maximum aperture. With a video camera/lens I'd be shooting at around F/2-2.8, and have a 10-1 or greater zoom range. With the Canon lenses I've seen, we're talking F/2.8 or F/4 wide open, and a much smaller zoom range. What is the best lens for this purpose? My main reason for going the DSLR route is shallow DOF; this is somewhat defeated by shooting at f/4.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
Re: RAW? and to CD NanoFlash -- and lens question
on Apr 2, 2010 at 2:51:43 am

The Philip Bloom thing is an April Fools joke. These cameras aren't really capable of outputting RAW data like that, and won't be through firmware upgrades.

DSLRs have much larger sensor sizes than typical video cameras, and as sensor size increase, depth of field decreases. If you've got an old 35mm film camera laying around, just pick it up, dial it to F4, and check out the depth of field. You'll see an immediate difference between that image and a video image at F4. Knowing a DSLR in terms of photography is going to go a lot further with these types of cameras than knowing video cameras. Always remember it is a still camera first, video camera second.

There are getting to be more and more places that rent these cameras for pretty little money. I've encouraged people who are looking to buy to try renting one for a couple days and try it out.

This article talks about sensor size and how that affects DOF. Good reading:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: RAW? and to CD NanoFlash -- and lens question
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:11:49 am

Good suggestions. Thanks. Since the lenses for the Canon 7d and 5d seem to have similar max apertures, I'd be looking more at the 5d, just because its larger sensor would give less DOF at the same f/ stop. You're absolutely right about f/4 being pretty good on a full-sized sensor. I've gotten so used to 2/3" and smaller sensors, and living in F/2!!!

As for April Fools, congrats to Philip Bloom. Pretty nerdy, but he got me. Well done, Philip.

I should have known better because I co-write a community newsletter and we always do an April Fools issue. We think we're hilarious, but it's really just a bunch of inside jokes that are funny only to people in the community (and not even to all of them).

Safe until next year. (And I hope Canon makes RAW not be a joke some day!)

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]