FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon XL2/VEGAS PRO 9 - SHOOTING IN DIM LIGHT

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve lochner
canon XL2/VEGAS PRO 9 - SHOOTING IN DIM LIGHT
on Mar 31, 2010 at 8:18:27 pm

Hi

I have shot a few weddings now and getting the hang of it, I am not perfect but I am improving with every shoot. The only problem I still seem to have is when I shoot the reception at night, there is normally very little light. I do use a bescor light, but the footage is very grainy. Any suggestions on special camera settings (canon XL 2) or is there a way in vegas pro 9 to remove some of the "noise" or grain., or any other suggestions.

Steve Lochner

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: canon XL2/VEGAS PRO 9 - SHOOTING IN DIM LIGHT
on Apr 1, 2010 at 5:40:38 am

First of all I'd post this in the Sony Vegas forum as well. Someone may be able to point you to a thrid party plug-in that reduces or eliminates video picture noise/grain. Sadly there's not much you can do to make your XL2 produce less noisy video in low light. You can create a picture profile that gives the camera a bit more exposure latitude but won't do anything to increase the low light sensitivity. Some things to get the most low light performance out of the camera that you may or may not be using already:

• Shoot interlaced in low light instead of progressive, which needs more light for the same brightness.
  • Interlaced gives you +18 picture gain whereas with progressive you can only get to +12
  • Obviously open up the iris to the widest setting. Use man. iris instead of auto.
  • Shutter speed no more than 1/60th sec. Sometimes 1/30th sec. works depending on the subject matter.

- Don

Return to posts index

steve lochner
Re: canon XL2/VEGAS PRO 9 - SHOOTING IN DIM LIGHT
on Apr 1, 2010 at 6:12:52 pm

Thanks Don, I appreciate the info

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]