FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D 1080 HD images for Print?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Canon 5D 1080 HD images for Print?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:51:40 pm

We recently had a shoot with the Canon 5D. It was shot at 1920x1080. The footage looked so good our client wanted to produce some out of home print from it. How can we export still frames to be used for print. Also, with footage being 72dpi, how can you resample this best in Photoshop to use for posters at 300 dpi and outdoor billboards?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon 5D 1080 HD images for Print?
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:01:50 pm

[Matt Campbell] "How can we export still frames to be used for print."

It depends on your editing platform. In PremierePro for example (we use CS3 and CS4) you just put your cursor on the timeline at the point you want, and select EXPORT >> FRAME. I don't know about FCP... your mileage may vary depending on what you are using to edit.

[Matt Campbell] "how can you resample this best in Photoshop to use for posters at 300 dpi and outdoor billboards?"

You don't really have to worry about that... pixels are pixels. Depending on the requirements of the printer, the end result will probably be not only re-sampled image size, but changed to CMYK and a couple of other things as well. Just export a frame as is and hand it over. Graphic designers or whomever is doing the layout are used to having to make all these conversions and changes themselves to get it right. In fact, anytime we are doing anything for print our graphic designer yells at me if I make any conversions or changes before handing it over to her. The print world is their domain just as the video world is ours.... they know what/how to do it and get it exactly right and will generally prefer getting the raw native file rather than you doing any voodoo to it before handing it off.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:15:19 pm

Thanks Todd. I actually came from a print production background. Kind of a weird transition to video production. I'm well familiar with the conversion but not know the camera, I wasn't sure how it shoots. Meaning, if the resulting footage are clips or image sequences. This shoot was outsource to a production company. I a FCP user and can export still frames no problem, I guess my question is more on the print production end and how easily will this convert to 300 dpi. I guess we'll just touch base with the printer then. Thx for your help.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:45:41 pm

[Matt Campbell] "I guess my question is more on the print production end and how easily will this convert to 300 dpi."

You're ahead of the game, then, Matt... most video guys know bupkus about the print world (me included, largely).

Changing the dpi in Photoshop is certainly easy enough, just IMAGE >> IMAGE SIZE and then enter your new DPI in the "Resolution" dialog box. Note though, that it will by default change your pixel dimension size, which you would need to go back and re-enter as 1920x1080 before you click "OK" unless you want Photoshop to resample and upsize the image. Natively, a 1920x1080 HD image at 300dpi is 6.4 inches wide by 3.6 inches tall.

But again, the print art director would probably prefer to make any of those changes resamplings or resizings at the point of the layout design rather than beforehand. They'll be happier if you just hand them an exported frame at its native size and resolution.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:11:28 pm

thanks for your help Todd. Greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]