FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D, (and 5D Mk11), shutter speed at 25P

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Cox
7D, (and 5D Mk11), shutter speed at 25P
on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:36:51 pm

If shooting with the 7 or 5D at 1080 25P what effect will varying the shutter speed have? For 25P I'd normally use the shutter at 1/50th, however I wanted to up the shutter speed to 1/100th in order to use a wider aperture, (2.8), to get maximum depth of field, (ISO set at 100). What affect will this have to the image? Audio was being recorded independently sync clapped for the edit.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Aaron Stewart
Re: 7D, (and 5D Mk11), shutter speed at 25P
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:20:44 pm

Basically you'll end up with seeing more detail in objects that are moving, less motion blur. While 1/50th of a second will look mostly normal, 1/100th of a second will start to have that Saving Private Ryan and/or other War movie action sequence look. Every little detail is in crisp focus, movement is slightly jittery, etc.

Shutter speed on these cameras roughly translates to shutter angle on film cameras. Lower shutter angle on film cameras gets those stutter effects (which is higher shutter speed on DSLRs), and higher shutter angle (lower shutter speed on DSLRs) would be like the effect you get in Gladiator in the opening segment after the first battle where everything starts blurring out. Unfortunately, these cameras only go down to 1/30th of a second, so you aren't going to get that blur effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_disc_shutter

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd Terry
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:49:07 pm

Part of that choice might depend on what your action is.

As Aaron said, your action will be a bit more stuttery. Not too bad, since that isn't a huge jump and is actually still a much slower shutter speed than one would normally choose when trying to achieve the "narrow shutter" look... but will still might be noticeable.

If your subject is just a talking head or people having a conversation, you might not notice it at all. If it's fast action, a car chase, people jumping rope, or fighting.... then yes, you might notice it some. But again, it's not going to be nearly as bad as, say, the movie "Gladiator" (which had fight scenes shot with such a narrow shutter that it was almost unwatchable).

Unlike film, though... it is, of course, easy and cheap enough to run a quick test.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Aaron Stewart
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:12:53 am

Agreed. I've found 1/100th to be slightly noticeable, but not too bad.

Unwatchable?? :) Suppose thats a matter of taste. I should go back and watch that movie...

What WAS the shutter angle on that movie... do you know Todd? Was it more narrow than 45 degrees?

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:19:46 pm

[Aaron Stewart] "What WAS the shutter angle on that movie... do you know Todd? Was it more narrow than 45 degrees?"

Maybe, and I don't know for sure as a cold-hard fact... but my eyeballs tell me it probably was. A 45° shutter (when shooting 24fps) yields an exposure of 1/192nd of a second per frame. That's a pretty high shutter speed, but not super super high. You'd probably still have a little bit of motion blur on extremely fast action, and I couldn't detect any motion blur in Gladiator, as I recall (although admittedly it's been several years since I've seen it).

Most higher-end film cameras with variable shutters will go down to 7.5°, and some will even go more than that... a few all the way to "closed" shutter position (a 7.5° shutter speed at 24fps gives an exposure of 1/1152). My eyes tell me the Gladiator fight scenes were shot with an extremely narrow shutter. I'm guessing somewhere at least in the 22.5° neighborhood, which is still extremely doable with even medium speed filmstocks in bright daylight.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Simon Cox
on Mar 19, 2010 at 6:21:08 pm

Many thanks fellas, that answered my query and gave me thought for future projects. It was talking heads so no problem with the scene. Still trying to get my head around HDSLR's seems useful for some applications but by no way all.........

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:19:43 am

Note : There is a further upgrade to the latest Firmware for the Canon EOS 5D mark II ie., 2.0.4. Check out Canon web site.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]