FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL2 / 60i / Slow Motion

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sirois
Canon XL2 / 60i / Slow Motion
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:10:15 pm

Wow, the "subject" was tough to describe. I wrote Canon XL2 / 60i / Slow Motion because my question encompasses all three.

So, I shoot in 24pa, and I edit in FCP in a 24 timeline, and I'm trying on honing my skills with slow-motion. I know that it isn't easy to do with many cameras but I heard that there is a way to capture 60i footage and import it into FCP to be used for 24p slow motion.

I have some 60i footage shot at 1/120, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't have AE, just FCP. If there's a way to do some conversion with CT then I can because I have CT as well, but no Adobe stuff.

Thank you,
Michael J. Sirois

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon XL2 / 60i / Slow Motion
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:17:45 pm

Well, the good news is that shooting at 60i and at the 1/120th shutter speed is exactly right for trying to slow-mo.

I'm not an FP guy, we are a PC house and cut with PremierePro CS3 and CS4... but perhaps some of this will translate between editing programs.

In the case of your footage, all I would do is take the 60i clip and put it on a 24p timeline (actually a 23.976 timeline). I would then set the speed of the clip at 40%. That's it.

At least in Premiere, if you do that (the exact 40% slow down), then each field of the original 60i clip becomes one single frame in the new 24p project.

Is there a settings correlation that you can do in FCP?

Oh, almost forgot... Premiere has a setting called "frame blending" that is used when clips are at speeds other than 100%. I would turn frame blending OFF when doing this particular slow-mo effect. I don't know if FCP has a corresponding feature.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sirois
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:27:25 pm

I think 40% sounds pretty good. I'm about to test it out now.

I had frame-blending off, as I've heard from many people that it's not what you want to do when trying to achieve slow-mo.

There is a settings menu where I believe I can manipulate those things.

I did have one more question though. Would I import the 60i clip direct from the tape into FCP as a 60i clip (by going into the AV settings and changing the import from 24pa to 60i) or would I import it as 24pa? (This may be a dumb question, but I just want to be sure).

Thank you for the help!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:32:37 pm

I'm not sure about that... in the Premiere world, you typically don't choose how to capture a clip... it automatically captures at whatever its native settings are.

But... if you have a choice, then yes capture it at 60i. You want to be dealing with a 60i clip on your timeline.

And as for the degree of slow-mo, you said 40% sounds "pretty good." Hopefully, it will be... because to get the best results the speed should be EXACTLY 40% of original speed... no more, no less. That's what gives you the exact frame-for-frame conversion of 60i to 24p... because 60 x .4 = 24. Therefore, 60 fields at 40% equals 24 frames.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]