FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best settings for slow motion XLH1?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mueller
Best settings for slow motion XLH1?
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:46:46 pm

This weekend I'm shooting some sports footage where the client has requested a lot of slow motion footage to mimic an NFL films look. I will be posting in Final Cut and am used to playing with speed there, but usually it's a decision that gets made in post. Since I have the luxury of knowing this stuff will be slow mo how should I set up my camera? Best shutter speed, etc? Any other shooting tricks?

Everything will be exterior existing light, but it is "staged" where I can get multiple takes.

Thanks.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Best settings for slow motion XLH1?
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:15:22 pm

Firstly, make sure you shoot 60i.

If you shoot 60i and the rest of your project is 24fps, you can slow-mo the 60i footage down to 40% and it will correctly drop on a 24p timeline frame-for-frame.

Secondly, crank up your shutter speed. I'd go with about 1/120th to 1/160th of a second. That will give you the proper motion blur (or lack thereof) for the 40% slow-mo.

Keep in mind that 40% is slow-mo, but it's not really really slow slow-mo. If you want to go slower than that, you can go to 20% but every frame will be doubled and will probably look quite stuttery. NFL Films typically uses slow-mo that is a lot slower than that.

If you do need to go slower, I would use one of the various pieces of frame interpolation software to re-create the "missing" frames.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
Re: Best settings for slow motion XLH1?
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:26:54 pm

Thanks Todd. I'll try that and see how slow we need to go. I hope to try some tests but time is running out. I do appreciate the response.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]