FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying a new camera

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Johnson
Buying a new camera
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:06:46 am

So I am going to have about 2,000-3.000 spending money and I'm wondering which camera should I buy (I am going to school for tv production)
camera
My current choice is the Canon XL2, the only thing stopping me from being completely committed to the XL2 is the lack of HD. Are there any other options in the same price range for an HDV camera?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Buying a new camera
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:57:45 pm

Well, one of the nice things about going to most video production schools is the access to equipment, so consider whether you really NEED to buy something if you can just use the school's cameras for free. What advantage would it give you? Cameras are obsolesced so fast nowadays that you can't count on it being up to date when you graduate.

That being said, I bought a Panasonic DVX100 the month I graduated high school because I knew I was going to use it for both college assignments and paying jobs, which I did. It was also a luxury to be able to shoot projects without having to sign out and return the college's equipment all the time.

These days, I wouldn't buy a standard def camera unless you get a screamin' deal on a used one. There are Panasonic HVX200 cameras all over eBay within your budget or you could stretch a bit and get a new one from a reputable dealer. The HVX is a very versatile camera with decent quality and I think you'd be happier with it over a XL2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]