FORUMS: list search recent posts

60i or 24f to apply 24p plugin

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Boza
60i or 24f to apply 24p plugin
on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:30:32 pm

I want to apply Magic Bullet Frames to de-interlace my video and get the so talked "film look". But I want to know if it's better to shoot with 60i or with 24f to apply this plugin.

By the way, I know 24f is the Canon's solution for "film-look", but it's a trick, that's why I want to know if mayber is better to shoot in 60i to apply the plugin later.

My camera is a Canon XH A1.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: 60i or 24f to apply 24p plugin
on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:41:45 am

Shoot 24f.

There's no reason to apply the Magic Bullet plug-in... the footage is already 24fps.

That would be a bit like applying a color desaturation filter to black-and-white footage... it already is what you are trying to get it to be.

[Daniel Boza] "24f is the Canon's solution for "film-look", but it's a trick,"

Not really. It's much much more of a "trick" to simulate 24p footage by appling a filter (Magic Bullet or otherwise) to 60i footage.

There really is no trickery to Canon 24f, despite what a lot of people think (if Canon had only been willing to pay the trademark licensing fee they'd be calling it '24p' instead of '24f' and people wouldn't be worrying about it). If you are shooting high-def, the footage will import perfectly as 23.976 fps progressive footage. If you shoot 24f in standard-def mode, the footage imports in a 60i wrapper, but has a perfect 3:2 pulldown already applied. People assume that "trickery" has to do with the fact that Canon uses an interlaced sensor to create the progressive frames... but the fact is that a lot of other cameras do that too... they just call their footage "24p" and people don't worry about it.

Since you have a camera that can already shoot 24fps, do it that way. Use Magic Bullet for other image manipulation (it's good software, especially Magic Bullet Looks), but not for this.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Boza
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:21:56 pm

Thanks Terry, you perfectly answered the question. However I would appreciate if you may answer four more:

1.- What is a 60i wrapper?

2.- Which pulldown method is better 3:2 or 2:3:3:2?

3.- What exactly does the Magic Bullet Frames plugin do to make the conversion?

4.- You mentioned Magic Bullet Looks, but is not better to use Colorista to color correct a video?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:52:12 pm

[Daniel Boza] "What is a 60i wrapper?"

Well in simplest terms that just means the footage will capture as and behave as plain ol' 60i NTSC footage, with 30 frames and 60 fields per second. You'll edit it in a 60i project, not a 24p project. However, if you step through the video frame by frame, you'll see that it is made up of the proper 3:2 frames/fields. Note that this applies only to standard-definition Canon 24f footage. Canon 24f footage in high def comes in as 23.976 fps progressive footage.

[Daniel Boza] "Which pulldown method is better 3:2 or 2:3:3:2?"

Typically 3:2 is the better choice... yielding footage that has the same frames/fields order as real telecined film.

[Daniel Boza] "What exactly does the Magic Bullet Frames plugin do to make the conversion?"

No idea. Red Giant Software might be able to answer that. But likely what they are doing is taking the first three frames and squashing their fields together to create a progressive frame, then leaving the next two alone. Or somehow they are taking the first three fields (all of the first frame and the first field of the second frame) and using it to build the first progressive frame, then using the next two fields to build the next progressive frame...and then repeating that over and over 3:2:3:2:3 etc.

[Daniel Boza] "You mentioned Magic Bullet Looks, but is not better to use Colorista to color correct a video?"

Well, I just said Magic Bullet Looks was a great plug-in, I didn't recommend it for color correction. Yes, Colorista will be the most powerful Magic Bullet tool for color correction. It's very powerful, but also takes a fair bit of skill and practice (just like Apple Color or any other higher-end color correction). I frankly never use it, because our suites have Matrox AXIO LE machines, and Matrox has pretty powerful color correction filters itself (they are almost just like Colorista) so I just use them. I don't really know my way completely around Colorista yet, but it seems like it would do the job. Magic Bullet Looks, on the other hand, do a bunch of other types of image manipulation that allow you to apply layered effects that simulate different things that you do at various points of shooting and post... just as different filters in the camera's "virtual matte box," or lens effects, or in-camera things such as shutter effects, or post things like bleach bypass, etc.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]