FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Footage on MiniDV

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Peters
HD Footage on MiniDV
on Dec 17, 2009 at 3:54:22 pm

I have hours of my own wedding footage that was filmed in HD using a couple of rented Canon XH-A1s. We used MiniDV tapes in each camera instead of HDV tapes because at the time I didn't know any better.

So now I'm trying to capture the footage playing back the miniDV tapes through my work's XL2, and I'm not having much luck. I'm getting glitchy green and pink greens, and a black screen on another tape.

Is all that footage worthless because I recorded it to MiniDV instead of HDV? Or do I just need to find an XHa1 and capture the video using that?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: HD Footage on MiniDV
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:54:26 pm

[Daniel Peters] "Is all that footage worthless because I recorded it to MiniDV instead of HDV?"

Nah... while there might be some minor differences (quality control, etc.), basically tape is tape. People shoot HDV footage on regular DV tape all the time.

The issue is format. You say you "filmed in HD" but yet you are "trying to capture the footage playing back the miniDV tapes through my work's XL2."

In short... you have an HD tape (well, HDV) but are trying to play it back out of a standard def deck (or rather, camera).

It doesn't work that way. Standard-definition decks (or cameras) will not play back HDV footage. You need to get an HDV deck or camera to play the tape.

AND...

If you shot with Canon's version of 24p (24f), then you must play back out of another Canon camera which supports 24f, or from a Sony M35 deck. The average HDV deck will not play the tape.

Don't worry (or fret with a screaming bride), you just need the right playback device. All of this has nothing to do with the fact that you shot on MiniDV tape rather than HDV tape... you're safe there.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Peters
Re: HD Footage on MiniDV
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:59:40 pm

Phew... what a relief! I thought tape was tape, but another friend told me otherwise....

Well...now to track down an XH-A1...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]