Hi everyone. I have a Canon HV30 (PAL - I'm in Australia) and was just wondering a few things, as I want to know whether or not I'm getting the best out of it with Final Cut Pro. Firstly, I don't seem to have any issues capturing, like many others seem to, so I won't ask for any tips on that.
1. I can't remember whether I installed FCP or just dragged the application from my old Mac onto my new one, via external hard drive - does it matter which way I went? Will I miss out on anything if I didn't do the install from scratch?
2. I have read on numerous occasions that some applications may interfere with FCP, such as Perian. It's so confusing! Is there a list somewhere that tells you what FCP does and doesn't like?
3. Will I lose any quality by importing footage onto my Western Digital Hard Drive (I use 800 F/W) instead of directly onto Intel iMac with Snow Leopard operating system?
4. The new Quicktime on Snow Leopard is weird! should I use it or the old version from pre-Snow Leopard?
5. Are there better Firewire cables than others and do they make a noticeable difference to imported footage?
6. I'm using FCP version 7.0.1 and was wondering if this is the best version? Some people seem to use older versions. I also blindly update every time Software Update tells me there is an update. Should I do this or should I use a little more scrutiny?
7. Finally, a question regarding the HV30 itself: I have noticed that every time I shoot footage of someone just standing (or sitting) quite still and talking to the camera, their eyes are always out of focus because the camera (even though used with a tripod) does not seem to be able to handle the slightest movement and cannot seem to focus properly, no matter whether I use IAF, AF or Manual Focus.
I hope someone can answer some of these questions, if not all. Many thanks in advance.