FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon EOS 7D and OnLocation

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Canon EOS 7D and OnLocation
on Dec 5, 2009 at 10:35:02 pm

Probably someone already asked this but I guess is worth asking it again. Can the 7D be used with Adobe OnLocation?

I read a thread about the 5D and OnLocation that said it can't be used because the 5D does not have an HDMI output, but the 7D does (or at least it looks like it has one to the untrained eye, such as mine).

I connected mine with the included USB cable and nothing happened, if I connect it with some sort of HDMI-Firewire cable will it work?

Best,

D.

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
Re: Canon EOS 7D and OnLocation
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:47:50 pm

The 7D still doesn't have full HD output live on the HDMI to use On Location in the way you would like to. As soon as a camera such as this does, it opens a whole realm of possibilities (such as 10bit 4:2:2 recording), but right now the HDMI is for playback only.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Dec 16, 2009 at 1:25:19 am

Thanks Aaron, I didn't really understand anything of what you just said, but it sounds like is not going to happen soon. Don't take it personal, I'm a total newbie when it comes to video shooting with
dslrs and I was very exited at the possibility of using onLocation with the 7D. Let's hope for am update in the near future.

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Dec 16, 2009 at 1:39:03 pm

All good. I would imagine this would be a feature that Canon would offer in future models of camera, but I'm not sure something like that could/would be accomplished through firmware updates, it would probably be a future model of the camera.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Clark
on Dec 24, 2009 at 3:49:57 am

Regarding the HDMI output, the 5D doesn't have this. But the 5D MKII does. And it is only FULL 1080 on playback; not while recording...unfortunately.

You may want to check out the Magic Lantern wiki site. The person(s) over there have worked wonders for the 5D MKII camera in regards to third party firmware.

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Dec 24, 2009 at 10:39:14 am

I think the 1080 even on the 5DMKii is for monitor only, it isn't for outputting to file, although should be good to monitor scopes through OnLocation. But again, you'd need something to get the HDMI signal to your system for OnLocation to recognize. They are working on 7D Magic Lantern firmware....but it'll probably be awhile before we see anything come out of that.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:20:01 am

This is not a canon problem this is a CS5 problem. I f adobe wants to be the premier editing suite then it needs to create a way to bring the video into the software based on modern principle and Firewire is not the answer.

They spend a fortune on Mercury playback engine and leave us with On Location that is remarkable unusable!

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:26:10 pm

I have to disagree with you. This is not an OnLocation problem, as OnLocation can take signals from capture cards that support HDMI, HDSDI, etc. The only way on these cameras to connect externally is via HDMI, which Canon doesn't allow the full HD output (or even what it is recording to H264). So it isn't Adobe's problem at all, its not like there is some new technology that they are behind on, its that there are industry standards in place that Canon won't/can't give the users access to. And I say can't because I'm guessing that most likely the camera's processers wouldn't be able to handle an output like that straight into a system. Trust me, I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong and do it, I would be the one of the first to jump on board and use it with OnLocation.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]