FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH A1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorenzo Escalante
Canon XH A1
on Dec 3, 2009 at 6:39:09 am

Is there a preset I can use to shoot concerts with my Canon XH A1 in low light or is there one I can use at night with out a light and still get a sharp image?

Also,

is there a way to reduce the bass when shooting at a concert using the standard mic?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Kris Riley
Re: Canon XH A1
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:26:00 pm

Hi Lorenzo,

I always shoot manually at night with my gain at +6, with the iris wide open and use the shutter wheel to adjust to different lighting. Of coarse keep your filters set to off. Those are only for daytime use. Using the night preset is going to end up turning your image grainy. You can program the presets, but that's a little complicated. As far as getting rid of the bass over modulation. The on-board mic isn't suited for loud music. Even when I've used my shotgun mic, it sounded bad. What you may want to do to capture audience sound is use a mic suited for loud noises. I've even used a wireless mic for this. I've been very disappointed while shooting live shows, because your levels appear to be fine, but when you get home, it's all muddy and not usable. Invest in a wireless mic and get an attachment to plug into the mixing board and you will get a great sound.

Return to posts index

Lorenzo Escalante
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:53:35 am

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

I have actually start to adjust and customize the presets, and have noticed a very little difference, could you point in the direction of one that helps in low light? and I mean, extremely low light, like a club.

Return to posts index

Kris Riley
on Dec 9, 2009 at 3:34:55 pm

There are no presets available. The best thing to do is open your iris all the way. Boost your gain as far as it will go, without it becoming too grainy. Like I said I use +6, but you can try going a little higher if you want. Use your shutter control for adjusting to changing light situations. The custom settings are mainly used for picture adjustments and not for light control. When you go to edit, you can use color curves to further boost light levels and balance out things a bit. Make sure you stay steady on a tripod if you are shooting low light scenes and/or move slowly, unless you like tracers and trippy effects. I would also rig up a light to use on your camera. Something that is not too bright. Just enough to light up faces that are close to you. Maybe something with a dimmer for adjusting to certain scenes. Hope this helps a bit.

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:07:32 am

There are plenty of user presets available. But the last and only time I posted the link to that forum, I got sent to a timeout corner without dinner and was made to promise never to do it again :-\

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]