FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannon 7d

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Chiumento
Cannon 7d
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:55:51 pm

Really thinking its a good thing I didnt buy a new 1080 cam this year.
I really think this is going to change video, and the industry.

Ive seen some amazing footage on Vimeio these past couple of weeks.

Im really thinking about investing in a package with a shoulder mount and audio pack.

Thoughts suggestions, ideas?

I dont see the need to carry around a shoulder mount camera ever again!

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Cannon 7d
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:41:08 pm

Start off by getting a Zacuto Z-Finder and see how you go with that.

http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

I would look to purchase a Glidecam or Steadycam after that

http://www.glidecam.com/product-hd-series.php

Hope that helps

Peter

Return to posts index

Nels Chick
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:19:18 pm

Awesome camera! Shoots beautiful 1080 24p video. There are drawbacks, such as aliasing and workflow, but for the price you get excellent lens options, shallow depth of field, sharp 1080p, and great color rendition.

inconveniencethemovie.com

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Nov 27, 2009 at 12:52:10 pm

I got myself the 7D, with a merlin stabilizer, a RedRock Micro Cinema bundle, Beechtech XLR adapter, and a seinheizer wireless (mic and lav) kit.. And let me tell you.. It Rocks... Just to be able to have interchangeable lens, it's worth the price!

you get great sound, even without a mic plugged-in.. quality is amazing.... Now what I'm trying to find is the recipe to convert H264 to ProRes, without losing to much on the color infos..

It does need a bit of getting used to especially in moving situations, (for those used to shoot in automatic mode)... but for me I'm very pleased with it..

enjoy!

Thanks!

Marky

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:02:26 pm

OK, yes the images are great, but do not think that this will be your main camera. It's great as a 2nd Cam.

Biggest issue, OVERHEATING! If you shoot during the hot summer months outside, it will not be long before you get the overheating icon, & eventually it will shut down., rolling shutter is there, but again if it is a 2nd cam, you have some work arounds.

The sensors do not have adequate heat sinks in these small cameras. There isn't a problem in still shooting modes, just video mode. It really cranks up the sensor operation. I didn't have this problem in the 5D, though I'm sure if you shoot for hours like me, you might end up overheating that cam too.

Just be educated about what your buying. It's easy to get caught up in the Wow factor of the images you see.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:39:04 pm

great comments...

I've done 4 shoots with it, and twice I got the overheating sign. One was shooting in an indoor pool (very humid), I got it after 1 hour of shooting...(almost continously), turned it off for 5 mins, and I was good to continue...

the 2nd time, it was during our band practice, I shot on and off for about 3 hours... I got it right at the end...

Other times, I shot small clips (10 to 45 secs) on and 8 hour basis, and no sign came up..

I do use it as my main camera for now, there's no camera at that price on the market that allows you to change lenses and give you HD quality images...

But are right, to shoot a 3 hour conference then it might not work... Also edit in H264 involves major rendering and converting to Apple Pro Res is veeeeerrrrryy slow...

I'm very happy with it, but will definitely get a "standard" camera as well...

Thanks!

Marky

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:40:54 pm

I the DV Multirig Pro. Zacuto makes nice stuff, just WAY overpriced on their support systems. Multirig is only $375.

http://www.dvtec.tv/id33.html

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:17:06 am

I also use the DVTech and love it. It folds up very small, fits in a camera bag. Well worth the money. I consider it a must have item. I shot with it doing some simple nonsense (all DRAFT footage) this weekend with my HMC-150. We got shut down on using a tripod and lighting (damn!) so I just shot a few songs they did. But you can get an idea of what can be done with it using HD. While there was a bit of bounce, the video of the band was all hand held with the DVTech. I also have a Varizoom for zooming off the handle of the DVtech rather than going to the camera. Can't recommend it enough.

(I'll be tearing this video down within the week, as it really is only for the band to see for comment, so they can see why I argued for lights).

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]