FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon working on P2 Rival? Solid State Prosumer cameras?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Brenner
Canon working on P2 Rival? Solid State Prosumer cameras?
on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:05:17 pm

I heard a rumor that Canon was going to discontinue their current HDV prosumer models... The XL-H1s, etc. and that they are working on something that will rival Panasonic's P2 cameras...

Anyone hear any of this? Have any links to share?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
Re: Canon working on P2 Rival? Solid State Prosumer cameras?
on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:11:01 pm

I heard something about that from Abel Cinetech. The idea being to put the 5D or 7D guts into a proper video camera. No idea when.
Gonna make my Sony EX1 obsolete.

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:56:35 pm

I sure hope they do... but God knows if or when.

Canon has always played things very close to the vest, much the opposite of many other companies. With Sony, they announce new products and give details long before they are available. With RED, they announce new products before they have even thought of them... ha. But with Canon... most often you never hear a peep about something new until it is on the shelf and ready to buy. They've always been super super secretive.

Makes capital planning a little difficult.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:55:29 pm

Would love nothing more than the form factor of an XL2 with the sensor and processor of a 5D Mark II, shooting modes of the 7D and a nice ~100 Mbit intra-frame codec. Just shoot ProRes to CF cards- that would do the trick. Cut, dry, win.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:58:46 am

...and if it had a PL mount option so you could use real cine primes.... that combo would be darn hard to beat.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:48:04 am

That might be politically difficult for Canon to offer as they have their own mount already. Besides, many options exist to convert Cine lenses to Canon mount or you can find cinema style lenses already- such as the Zeiss Primes with Canon mount.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:46:35 pm

I would love the Pro-Res format option, but the files are HUGE. It would fill up a 32G card in 32 minutes.

It would be nice if all the camera companies would give is recording format options; ie Pro-Res, AVHCD, HDV, etc. Since most will be moving to the tapeless worlflow, give us the option to choose formats and not make us choose camera's based on the format, if that makes any sense.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]