FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor: Still terrible after all these years

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Utaski
Compressor: Still terrible after all these years
on Nov 3, 2009 at 7:44:10 pm

Normally avoid Apple compressor at all costs, and a recent job shot on a Canon 7D gave me ample reminder of why I should keep avoiding it:

Had appox 80 clips shot at 720p 60 to edit. Did a batch conform in Cinema Tools to change them to 23.976 since they were shot with slo mo in mind.

Drag them into Compressor, attempt to transcode the ProRes HQ for editing. Bomb. Compresssor quits. Tried the same with ProRes LT, Bomb again. Tried creating a droplet. Bomb, compressor quits. Tried dragging in just a few clips at a time. No bomb. But a pokey solution to get through 80 source clips. Oh well.

Realized compressor is exporting my clips with the encoding pre-set extension added to it. I don't want that. I want file name "same as source" since I'm going to edit LT and online with HQ. 20 minutes of searching through menus and Google, no obvious way to change that setting.

So, at this point I've got Compressor giving me files named incorrectly, and forcing me to do just a few at a time so it doesn't bomb. Thanks for nothing.

There has to be a better way. There is. MPEG Streamclip. It's FREE. Within minutes of download, I'm effortlessly creating a batch of ProRes LT files with name same as source, no crashes, no cumbersome interface, no problems.

Apple Compressor: If I didn't know any better I'd swear Microsoft developed it.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Compressor: Still terrible after all these years
on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:31:56 am

I'm starting to come around to it, especially when running a cluster. Seems like over 10 clips and it'll freak out. Is the quality of MPEG streamclip as good as what you get out of compressor, when compressor works right?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:27:39 pm

Stephen:

Do you have a link to MPEG Streamclip?

Just wondering, are you using the latest version of compressor?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:54:58 pm

I found the link for MPEG Streamclip.
http://www.squared5.com/

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com