Canon EOS 7D Editing

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxime Michaud
Canon EOS 7D Editing
on Nov 1, 2009 at 8:10:51 pm

I have a Canon 7D.

My .MOV native files are lagging a lot.
They told me to use Cineform neoscene...
It does a great job, but at the 3/4 of my video, the image stills, and bugs.
Is this a camera problem ? or cineform problem ? I can see a little twitch on the native .MOV file.
Also, I have Premiere and Vegas, what is the best way to render ? Best format ? I tried many, some make to heavy files (30 g for a 6 minutes video), some give poor quality.
I want a great 1080p video. I'm not that good with formats, renders and stuff, please help.
I can't find a way to edit my 7D videos, it's crap !

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Canon EOS 7D Editing
on Nov 1, 2009 at 10:23:35 pm

I use cinema tools to change the frame rate from 60p to 24p (when shooting 720), to get the slow mo look. Then I convert via compressor to 1080i prores. You may need to convert to Prores HQ to keep 1080p.
h264 is the codec used to record these files, which is keeps sizes low, but sucks for editing.

Return to posts index

marcel franck
on Nov 2, 2009 at 2:57:28 pm

Many of us are using MPEG streamclip to convert to prores for editing in FCP...the native h.264 files that the 7d records to should not be used for editing...I've had better results using mpeg streamclip than compressor..mpeg streamclip software is easily found online...hopes this helps.

PRODUCER - DIRECTOR - EDITOR
CANON 7D 3.0 MBP 4GIGS RAM 1TB SONNET FUSION F2 ESATA
PPC G5 DUAL 2GIG, 6 GIGS RAM, AJA IO, 2TB SATA2
OS 10.4.11
FCP 7 & 6.0.5
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

Richard Dolesh
on Nov 2, 2009 at 9:42:31 pm

Marcel,
Interesting about Squared 5... Did you try Neoscene at all? I'd be interested to know which one is better...as I need to edit 7D files!

I've tried Neoscene (trial version) but can't convert to a PPro 'friendly file' that doesn't have to be re-rendered once droped in my timeline...
(I'm using CS3 / Intensity Pro and would love to be able to monitor my timeline on my HDMI client monitor...)

Richard Dolesh

Return to posts index

marcel franck
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:48:05 pm

Richard...i have not tried neoscene...others have...with mixed results...
mpeg streamclip lets you convert to many different formats...since i'm a fcp edit house i use what works for me...when i convert to prores the files play without render in a fcp timeline...there is a good 5d/7d site
that may yield some answers for you...search for "phillip bloom" and poke around there...he has a new dvd tutorial for sale...a little pricey
but lot's of info....

PRODUCER - DIRECTOR - EDITOR
CANON 7D 3.0 MBP 4GIGS RAM 1TB SONNET FUSION F2 ESATA
PPC G5 DUAL 2GIG, 6 GIGS RAM, AJA IO, 2TB SATA2
OS 10.4.11
FCP 7 & 6.0.5
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

Richard Dolesh
on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:27:30 pm

Marcel,
Thanks for your reply. That's great to hear about not having to re-render when you drop your media into the FCP timeline, using mpeg streamclip--even though I usually am on windows, I have to use a mac at times.

I have seen Blooms site, It's a great site--and you got me thinking about purchasing his DVD... For anybody else who stumbles upon this thread, working in CS3 PPro and the Canon 7D it looks like transcoding to a PPro codec like XDcam is the way to go as Magbanua did:
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2009/09/10/perya-a-canon-7d-short/

I am going to give it a try... Now if I could only preview my timeline on a HDMI client monitor I'd be thrilled!
Richard

Richard Dolesh

Return to posts index

Beren Hall
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:48:29 am

i've been using mpeg streamclip to convert 7D 720/60fps files into 24fps for FCP but when i play them back after conversion they play at normal speed instead of slow mo. does anyone know how to convert a 7d 60fps movie into a 24fps or 30fps slow mo movie? any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Dec 16, 2009 at 1:42:45 pm

To convert to 23.98 from 59.94 (60fps)... first copy the files to a separate folder on their own....

if you've got Cinema Tools as part of Final Cut Studio, open that, look for Batch Conform under the file menu. Select the file with the copied H264's (or converted 720p files), and then select the framerate to conform them to. Takes about 2 seconds a clip (not even). Changes the metadata on the clips in that file, then places them in a 24 fps conform file. Now they are all slowed by 50%.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Marc Schreibman
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:02:10 pm

I just got a Canon T2i and I'm trying to edit the 1080P files it saves to the card. After trying to edit the h.264 files directly i FCP, and seeing the major frame dropage, I did some research and saw that it is better to convert to Apple Prores422. So I did this and it works great in FCP. However, when zooming in on the footage and comparing it to the original h.264, it look much softer and more compressed looking. I thought prores was supposed to be less compressed. I used Mpeg streamclip to convert the files.
Have you or anyone had this problem?

Return to posts index

Richard Dolesh
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:52:03 pm

Marc,
From what I have heard, mpeg streamclip 'works' but your footage takes a quality hit. I have done this workaround for the time being. (Maybe you can do something similar on your mac?) I import all my 7D clips into an 'XC Cam' project ( I am on a PC and use CS3) then render the whole timeline. Then I go to the 'preview files' folder--pull all those out and drop them into my project. Premiere Pro sees the 'preview files' all as native XD Cam files and I can apply instances of them infinitely without as much rendering because PPro was designed to work with XDcam codec!

For the mac, I am not sure...maybe somebody else can respond?? for older systems...a good product to look into is: NEO HD for $500. It addresses the 'mathmatical coding' that is such a strain on most current editing systems. But I wouldn't puchase Neo HD if you are going to do a big upgrade soon, as that function may be improved in the latest (or soon upcoming) mac releases. Again, maybe a mac expert can reply : )

For my own 7D editing, I didn't have HD the work to justify the expense, (especially considering I can do short edits with the workaround described above) so I will just wait till I build my windows 7 machine when CS5 comes out, hopefully later this year.

Richard Dolesh

Return to posts index

colin stewart
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:36:38 pm

ok, heres what you do, but this only works if you have final cut studio 6 or higher. Get MPEG Streamclip by squared 5, then just drag your clips into mpeg stream clip. Export to Quicktime or hit command E. then choose AppleProRes 422 as your compressor. turn the quality to 100%, and leave the frame size as it set then hit "make movie". ITS THAT EASY! It took me forever to figure it out, but it HAS WORKED FOR ME MANY TIMES! I have had no issues, it works wonderfully, is easy to use and it really does work!!!!!! Ive been using this method for over 5 months straight now, never had an issue!

Return to posts index

Rebecca Parrish
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:24:21 pm

[marcel franck] "Many of us are using MPEG streamclip to convert to prores for editing in FCP...the native h.264 files that the 7d records to should not be used for editing...I've had better results using mpeg streamclip than compressor..mpeg streamclip software is easily found online...hopes this helps."

Marcel, how do you feel about the quality after prores conversion via MPEG Streamclip? Is this what you are using for final output? Do you see a significant quality hit?

Return to posts index

Roy Roy
on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:03:54 am

Dear all,

I read couple of your comments and am still not clear with my options. I highly appreciate your help.

I have 7d and I shoot in 1080i 30 frames...I use pinnacle studio 14 to burn DVDs and Blu-Ray..

When I directly drag and edit and burn DVDs, quality is very poor for my DVD it should be other way around with good quality . Some reason, poor quality, video is too big in to watch on HDTV 40, not able to bring it down to 16:9 aspect ratio etc..

After reading your comments, it seems I cannot / should not directly use 7d .Mov files in pinnacle studio 14. instead have to use a convert.

I have windows 7 64 bit, with high end PC can burn Blu-Ray as well..

Can you please suggest to what all I need do to convert(software codec and process /method). PLEASE. thank you

Return to posts index

Mail Ber
on Dec 13, 2010 at 9:22:36 am

MOV files profuced by Canon EOS 7D Mark II are a long GOP format that is highly compressed, so it is not a good playing and editing format. Some MOV video player and editing software can not handle this MOV files.

I heard that Pinnacle Studio 14 can natively support 7D MOV files but I have not tested it. You can have a try.

And another solution I recommend is that you convert the 7D footage to the other common format, like MPEG, AVI as that format is easy to edit and play back. That is what I do with my Canon 5D video footage and the results are excellent.

There are rare programs which allows to import and make deal with this high compressed MOV files. Now share the following program which can convert and edit Canon 7D MOV footages perfectly.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%61%75%6E%73%6F%66%74-video-converter-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]