FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vincent Laforet creates a stunning new film with the new Canon 1D Mark IV shot at ISO 6400.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wiggins
Vincent Laforet creates a stunning new film with the new Canon 1D Mark IV shot at ISO 6400.
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:51:27 pm

All,

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/Laforet-Videos/Nocturne-Canon-1DMKIV-Vide...

Peter

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Vincent Laforet creates a stunning new film with the new Canon 1D Mark IV shot at ISO 6400.
on Oct 20, 2009 at 4:20:09 pm

Great piece.

I haven't quite been able to put my finger on what there is about the "look" of all these little DSLR movies that are cropping up. They don't look like video or DoF-converted video. Nor do they look at all like real film, of course. They have a look that is more... geez, well, I don't know what to call it. But it certainly is a look all its own.

A lot of times I personally don't think that "look" works very well for some projects... and other times it does. I think with "Nocturne" it's pretty appropriate.

If any of these DSLR cameras could take real PL mount cine lenses (and who knows, some might, or might in the future), then I think we might really have something.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Gord Stephen
Re: Vincent Laforet creates a stunning new film with the new Canon 1D Mark IV shot at ISO 6400.
on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:58:40 pm

Pretty exciting stuff, especially considering that it was all shot with available light... at night.

Todd, have you seen the photos from Rodney Charter of the 7D with big Panavision lenses on it? It's quite the sight to behold...

Gord

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:15:10 pm

Yeah, I saw that a while back, Gord.... pretty amazing.

The funny part is, that lens is worth probably around 20 times as much as the camera body it's stuck on. My lenses are worth a lot more than my bodies, too... but not as much as that!

I'm guessing that Panavision put a Canon EF mount on that lens for him... since Panny lenses natively have either Panavision or PL mounts. Not sure how it could be made to work otherwise... I'm not aware of the existence of any kind of Panavision-to-EF adapter.

Interesting to note that real 35mm cine lenses (if properly Canon mounted) will work on the 7D, but will not work on the 5D. Well, that's not entirely true, they will work but not completely cover the image area. The 7D's sensor is more akin to the size of a 35mm cine frame, so a cine lens will cover that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:24:53 am

Canon has requested he take down the film. It isn't currently available for viewing.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Joe Fountain
on Oct 21, 2009 at 4:26:41 am

Try this

Very nice

Joe Fountain
Cinematographer
Editor
New Zealand

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 21, 2009 at 4:56:06 am

Wonder why they had him pull the plug?.... hmmmm.

Glad I was fast enough on the draw to have saved the full HD version.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Gord Stephen
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:31:40 am

[Todd Terry] "The 7D's sensor is more akin to the size of a 35mm cine frame"

And yet there are those who complain about it (or the 1DMkIV now) not being full frame... We've gotten spoiled fast. 18 months ago the concept of a sub-$2k camera with a 35mm film-sized sensor was ludicrous. Now it's a disappointment?

It's an exciting time to be shooting video, to say the least.

As for Nocturne being taken down - apparently the same thing happened last year with Reverie (Laforet's 5DMkII pre-release short) - I would expect it to be officially back up soon. Bureaucracy is weird.

Gord

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]