COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wiggins
Broadcast work with the Canon5DmkII
on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:55:59 pm

All,

Just thought you might like to see what we made recently using the Canon5DmkII

On Vimeo you can see the opener in full HD- amazing quality

Sunday Night Snooker Opener, Grand Prix 2009 from Idustrial Revolution on Vimeo.

Peter

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Broadcast work with the Canon5DmkII
on Oct 20, 2009 at 2:05:33 am

Very beautiful! I'd love to know what settings you used for the night shots (ISO, etc).

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:46:42 pm

Most of it was with the 50mm 1.2 at 1.2 with shutter at 50 and the ISO controlled the exposure.

I will try and get the Colin the cameraman to reply too

Peter

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:45:20 pm

Looks like the lens really makes a big difference. Great, now I'm going to start obsessing over l-series lenses...

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:12:04 am

Let me put it this way, I will never buy another zoom :)

Peter

Return to posts index

Joe Fountain
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:36:37 am

Good work there Peter, very nice flow. I have the 7D and am wondering if you have had any experience of artefacts with 5Dmk2 footage that some people seem to be experiencing and if so, to what degree? I haven't experienced anything that is noticeable or even detectable on a large screen and am wondering if it may be a difference in the cameras. I watched your piece in HD and it looks fantastic, so perhaps this may be a compression issue or even a hardware issue?

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Joe

Joe Fountain
Cinematographer
Editor
New Zealand

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:37:22 pm

There is some aliasing and also moiré with fine patterns - but you will get that when evrything is razor sharp.

I've seen some compression artifacts, but that has been at low, low light levels.

Peter

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 21, 2009 at 6:00:47 pm

Assuming I have a 'bearable' zoom, would you recommend the 1.2 50mm as my first L lens? Especially if the goal is to make the most out of night shots and low-light?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:39:36 pm

I cannot stress how good the 50mm 1.2 is. :) Not cheap though, but it makes the 5D a different camera.

You will not be disappointed.

Peter

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:55:50 am

Thanks for the tip. Picked one up today. Thank God for write-offs!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:38:08 am

Yep, I love it.

Throw The Ball from John Davidson on Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:57:47 am

Just an FYI:

Much of the apparent "detail" in the "HD" video produced by cams such as the 5DM2, 7D, 1DM4, GH1, etc. _is_ aliasing. Much of what looks like real detail in their video is actually false detail -- visual information created by the way these cams create 2K video frames from 12MP+ sensors using binning techniques.

Many people don't notice most of the fake detail most of the time -- PT Barnum lives! -- but it's important for video professionals to know it's there. And it can bite you in the butt if you're not careful. But (pun intended), you can't make the aliasing "go away". You can only avoid scenes which trigger it, or adjust focus, exposure, filtration, wardrobe, props, sets, lighting, etc, to minimize it -- or soften problem areas of the frame in post (ick).

DSLR "HD" video resolution is only slightly better than pro-quality standard definition video or poor-quality 720p HD video.

This can be OK for many relatively lo-fi delivery media (e.g.: DVD, small-size web videos, etc.), but will be problematic for most broadcast (or post) or higher end distribution depending on what final look is desired.

You don't have shoot test charts to prove this, you can see in real world subjects, too. But charts don't lie. Multiple testers are reporting approx. 600-700 lines of real resolution in "HD" video recorded by the popular DSLRs.

For much, much more information about this topic, I highly recommend this must-read article by Barry Green:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=187503

... and here's his shorter "executive summary" version:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1787293&postcount=23

I'm not bashing DSLR video. I'm actually looking forward to buying a GH1 soon. But I'm glad Barry & others are testing these cams thoroughly so we can know better what to expect out of them.

Refer also to my recent post in the COW FCP forum:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1060835

YMMV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]