FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor video quality from Canon 5D mark II

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Nosaty
Poor video quality from Canon 5D mark II
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:59:01 pm

Recently I started shooting video on my Canon 5D mark II. I have installed the latest update and followed all the instruction for setup. When I look at the video on my HD broadcast monitor I see all kinds of compression artifacting in the fine details and banding in solid areas of the image like the sky.

I've tried a few tests like shooting with image quality set to Raw and/or Jpeg but nothing seems to make a difference. I've also tried converting the clips to ProRes and other compression schemes for editing but they all have similar issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Cinemontage Productions Inc

Return to posts index

marcel franck
Re: Poor video quality from Canon 5D mark II
on Oct 19, 2009 at 12:11:04 pm

Greg...the settings you refer to are for still picture resolution - not video...you need to read the manual...also you should be working in the manual mode "M" for everything...turn off auto focus as well....you need to select frame size, as well as shutter speed, iris setting and iso...iso is very important- start with a setting of iso 100 in bright sun - go up to 400 for indoor - above 1200 does incur some noise...try a shutter speed of 60 for most stuff...125 for action sports and adjust your iris to the correct exposure from the internal meter....hope this helps...most folks are using some sort of eye piece viewfinder to see the lcd screen in bright sun...i got mine from IDC in arizona...you do need a basic understanding of videography and photography...
check out phillip blooms website - he has a great dvd for sale
marcel

PRODUCER - DIRECTOR - EDITOR
PPC G5 DUAL 2GIG, 6 GIGS RAM, AJA IO, 2TB SATA2
OS 10.4.11
FCP 6.0.5
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

marcel franck
on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:27:02 pm

Greg...also for viewing directly from the camera on hd tv, are you using an HDMI cable?...the other a/v output is only sd...viewed on an hd monitor with the a/v cable will give a poor result...do you have the latest software? take a look at the software from magic latern...gives you full manual control...hope this helps.
marcel

CANON 7D 3.0 MBP 4GIGS RAM 1TB SONNET FUSION F2 ESATA
OS 10.4.11
FCP 7 & 6.0.5
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:32:41 pm

[marcel franck] "for viewing directly from the camera on hd tv, are you using an HDMI cable?"
I use the HDMI cable to my Panasonic plasma TV. Better yet I import the footage into either of my Final Cut/AJA Kona edit suite and view on a broadcast HD monitor and see the same results. No matter how I view it I still see artifacting and banding.

It's not the viewing it's the capturing that is the problem. Either I am missing something or my camera is in need of service, and it's more than likely me!

thanks for your suggestions so far...

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:25:44 pm

Marcel

[marcel franck] "the settings you refer to are for still picture resolution - not video...you need to read the manual"
The reason I wrote the post is because I have read the manual and it says very little other than choice SD or HD frame size. The image quality setting seem to have no effect on video only still images. I use only manual mode and If I'm having difficulty seeing the display or for more critical focus I use a Canon angle finder and/or my Marshall 8" HD LCD.

[marcel franck] "you do need a basic understanding of videography and photography"
I've been a filmmaker and photographer for 19 years. The past 7 years i've used almost every flavor of HD video camera on the market. But non of that seems to help me when it come to shooting video with my 5DII.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

marcel franck
on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:05:00 pm

Greg...you still haven't responded with the settings that you are shooting with...are you shooting in the manual mode? or is the camera on some sort of auto mode...are you using a fast cf card?...until we get some idea of the settings you are recording with it's hard to offer real advice...sorry i didn't see your profile...now I know you're a veteran
broadcaster...are you a DP or a producer...big difference...just trying to help...there are many other sources for reference on the web...try phillip blooms site...he is based in the u.k....

CANON 7D 3.0 MBP 4GIGS RAM 1TB SONNET FUSION F2 ESATA
OS 10.4.11
FCP 7 & 6.0.5
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Oct 20, 2009 at 5:04:52 pm

I shoot primarily in manual mode, NTSC, 1920x1080, quality-RAW, color space- sRGB, manual focus, image stabilizer off, using 16GB 300x Lexar CF cards. ISO and aperture dependent of subject and light. I use either the kit lens 24-105mm or a 70-300mm DO.

Are there other setting you would like to know?

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Pavlos Kapa
Horizontal wavy lines on video with 5d mark iii
on May 27, 2013 at 11:59:54 pm

Hi all,
I noticed couple of times -while shooting in low light (using 4000-6000 iso) with Manual mode on 24fps and 1/50 shutter speed- horizontal wavy lines from the top to the bottom of the footage, mainly on the darker parts of the image. The lines were more noticable when I shot in gig space where green ad blue lights are on. Any suggestions for solving this?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:39:24 pm

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but, we Export to Tape after downloading the H264 into Premiere Pro in High definition PAL @ 1920 x 1080 . There are no artifacts etc., this way, but there may be compressing the stuff onto a Bluray dics.

We have done 7 productions back to High definition mini tape and the results shown on a Sony Bravia 46' HD is in a word "stunning" as good as or better than broadcast quality.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:39:52 pm

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but, we Export to Tape after downloading the H264 into Premiere Pro in High definition PAL @ 1920 x 1080 . There are no artifacts etc., this way, but there may be compressing the stuff onto a Bluray dics.

We have done 7 productions back to High definition mini tape and the results shown on a Sony Bravia 46' HD is in a word "stunning" as good as or better than broadcast quality.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:04:17 am

Hi Greg,

For what it is worth we use SanDisk Extreme IV UDMA @45 MBS as the 1920 x 1080 Quicktime 1080p.H.264 mode in the 5D runs at 38.6Mbits/sec in a 4GB CF card. a slower card may give you problems in HD video. You should have no issues with quality out of this camera even running on automatic in still images , we have shot thousands and the exposure, colour and sharpness is exceptional. We do however use "landscape setting".

In HD video mode you may have to render the files in Premiere Pro for smooth editing. Again, the results of seven high definition video projects , fashion parades and art show presentations needed very little Photoshop work if any, and certainly very little severe editing in Adobe Premier pro ; the low level, light capabilities is so much better than the Canon EOS 30D using an L series Pro lens.

Ps You must use the Image Stabilizer if you hand hold this camera to produce very smooth video.I cannot recommend a non image stablised lens except on a tripod.

Good Luck.

Frankly the still images out of this camera is as good as or better than a Hassleblad which we used for 20years

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:09:05 pm

I'm new here but, this is intriguing to me as I have the same comments as Greg does.

I've set up my 5D according to the directions in the book. Correctly exposed clips at 100 ISO show banding and compression artifacts. They are slight but, quite apparent. I've read so many reviews lauding the merits of the quality of this camera but, I just don't see it compared to a good HD video camera. To me, H.264 is just too compressed to yield a quality picture... especially, if you are going to do any color grading with it. H.264 is a codec for the web not a capture codec. Wish someone could convince me otherwise. Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]