FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using two mics with XHA1 camera, at the same time

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Commons
Using two mics with XHA1 camera, at the same time
on Oct 11, 2009 at 11:01:17 pm

For filming live concerts with the XHA1:
Is there a way to use the XLR input for only Channel 1 on the camera (to get a direct feed from the audio console), while also using Channel 2 at the same time to use the camera mic to pick up audience noise, applause, etc.?

If so: How do I set it up?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Using two mics with XHA1 camera, at the same time
on Oct 12, 2009 at 4:26:59 am

If the XHA1 audio works the same as the XLH1 (and I think in that regard they are identical), then no... you can't do exactly what you are trying to do.

You have to commit to using the on-board mic or the rear XLR inputs... one or the other, you can't mix-n-match (I think part of that logic is the fact that the on-board mic is a stereo mic feeding both L and R channels).

To do what you want is easy enough, but would require a separate (and different) mic to feed into channel 2.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Larry Commons
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:01:13 pm

So -- I could plug the audio board into Channel 1 and a shotgun mic into Channel 2 at the same time?

What should the camera settings be, so I'm getting audio on both channels simultaneously?

Return to posts index

Peter Hardyman
on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:43:45 pm

Hallo Larry,

I use a XL-2, which I think has the same buttons as the XL-H1 and so hopefully
Canon has used the same buttons on the XH-A1. This is not difficult to do, Iam at it all the time. The settings on the camera are done by the dinky little buttons on the top of XLR block. You need to locate the 'REC CH SELECT' button (so named on the XL2) and set it to CH 1. This will give you audio on Ch 1 on the CH 1/3
XLR and also to CH 2 on the CH2/4 XLR, BUT not from the same mic That is because you have another mic recording to Ch 2, on the other XLR. (Should you ever want XLR 1/3 on both CH 1 & 2 select Ch 1 -Ch2 with the switch mentioned above). If you only want to record to Ch 2,connect to XLR 2/4 with the switch selected to CH 1. Iam sorry it may be a bit confusing, but that works for me. If you have a manual have a look at the Audio section, but you might be just as confused by it as you maybe by me!!
I have a bit of a concern as you say you want to plug straight into the audio board with a cable to the XLR 1/3. I have been told never to do that unless you are absolutely sure of the strength of the output or you may blow the cams preamp. Am not all knowing about this, but maybe Terry can help as Iam sure he is.
I am looking at getting a XH-A1 myself, for its footprint. Very difficult to shoot in virgin rain forest with a XL2. If you have time, I would be interested in YOUR pros and cons on the A1.

Regards,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]