FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D Mk II - Encode to which codec?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PJ Palomaki
Canon 5D Mk II - Encode to which codec?
on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:10:52 pm

We edit all HD footage in ProRes (HQ) in Final Cut, but would it be better to turn the 5D's H.264 to ProRes LT as the data rate is more than enough for the data rate of H.264? Or is there other disadvantages to using LT regarding quality and what about mixing HQ & LT in ProRes (HQ) timeline, I assume more rendering is required?

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Canon 5D Mk II - Encode to which codec?
on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:43:53 pm

In my opinion there is never a need to use HQ as it just makes the file sizes too large wasting disk space, and there is no benefit you could gain when transcoding 5d footage to it. I would recommend following canon's suggestion that you use LT. If you do a side-by-side comparison of HQ and LT, do you see any perceptive degradation of the footage? I have not yet been able to, and as you say the data rate is more than enough, as we see here:
for the canon 5d-
HD bitrate is approximately 38 Megabits per second (4.8 Mbyte/s); and: The 21 megapixel sensor is
downsampled to HD resolution by only using every third line and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling

And since we also know the chroma sampling is a mere 4:2:0 what could you possibly gain? Now if I had a 2k image with full color sampling I might think of pro res 4:4:4 but then again the original footage needs to be captured at that kind of sampling from a camera that can actually do it.

As far as being in the same timeline, you should be able to mix all flavors of proRes 422 and not have to render except for final output.
Hope this helps.
-Keith

ps- if someone can actually show me a visible difference you are welcome to try, or if you have scientific data to back your claim please let me hear it.

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]